1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in December this conversation took place on these boards:

Outlook Problems

Okay, so you're in microsoft outlook.
You try to back up some folders, right, and you save them as a .PST file onto your desktop. Are you with me? Alright. So far, so good.
Using outlook, you open said file, without a hitch. It works.
Then you burn it to a CD.

Seems straight forward.
However, you can't run it from the CD.
Know why?
This parts easy. You can't run the PST file from your CD because CDs are read only. So you copy it to your hard drive, just like they said on http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;258468

However, it doesn't work.
It comes up with an error, saying "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" or sometimes just "the file ___.PST is not a personal file folder". Textbook stuff, huh?

But heres the catch:
You've already unchecked "read only" under the files properties (the solution that microsoft suggested, and no doubt you were preparing to type out most graciously for me).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you importing or are you trying to set that pst file up in your services?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried importing, going through services, and even just going open/personal folder file (.pst)

Can't get any of them to work for me
-------------------

I'm having this exact issue. My pst file is NOT read only and is now saved on my hard drive. But it just won't import into my Outlook 2000. I NEED this file to work - I lost all my data on my PDA and the only backup is in this PST file (long story - I changed jobs, saved the backup to the PST before I left and just never got around to restoring it and then my PDA did a hard reset and all was lost).

PLEASE tell me a proper fix for this - I need this file to work and out of the seven pages of articles on this topic NONE list that one step I need to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
scan your computer for a file called scanpst.exe, run it and scan the pst and see if it finds and repairs any errors.

Let us know if this works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that - didn't help

phubeone said:
scan your computer for a file called scanpst.exe, run it and scan the pst and see if it finds and repairs any errors.

Let us know if this works.
Did that last night - it made my 6000kb file go to 41kb - NOT the solution.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
You're doing the correct things. Import should work just as you describe.

Have you checked the permissions on the .pst?

Right click the file>properties>security - and make sure you have checks in all permission boxes.

By the way, even 6,000kb is a small outlook file. Mine are in the 500,000kb range. Something may be wrong with the original formation of the .pst - let's hope not... :sayno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
small sized file

yustr - I only had about 60 contacts in there, but it's what is in the NOTES fields that I need the most. I exported all those contacts into my Gmail account before I left my company but none of the NOTES information carried over at all which is why I went ahead and did the pst file.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did you check the integrity of the file before you took it home? What I mean by this is, after burning it did you check to make sure that you were able to open the file after copying it back from the CD to your HD? It could have been corrupted. I have done this many times and never ran into any problems importing or opening the PST alone.

Have you tried going to File>Open>outlook data file and browse to the file you're trying to open and see if that works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corrupted?

phubeone said:
Did you check the integrity of the file before you took it home? What I mean by this is, after burning it did you check to make sure that you were able to open the file after copying it back from the CD to your HD? It could have been corrupted. I have done this many times and never ran into any problems importing or opening the PST alone.

Have you tried going to File>Open>outlook data file and browse to the file you're trying to open and see if that works.
No, I didn't check the file - the export ran smoothly and I encountered no errors, so I didn't think to check the file.

The good news is that my husband looked through my disks from my old job about 30 minutes ago and found a CSV file that I saved a couple months ago in order to load my contacts into my Gmail account. So I didn't lose EVERYTHING. He said the CSV file loaded with no problems whatsoever! YAY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.