Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
p4s-la indiana, asus motherboard

This motherboard is oem in hp Pavilion system 540n, p7538a. It is socket 478, p4 celeron. I just put in a new hard drive, the old one died.
The new drive is ide seagate, new , 250 gb. I have the only one drive in the computer. I have tryed the cable select jumper and the master jumper settings on the drive with the same results.
I can not load window 2000 prof into it. I get about half way thru the install, and then it goes to load up all the hardware devices, and just hangs up on the install. ASus made the motherboard, it is close to the p4s333-mx board. It has sis 651 and sis 961.

See mb specs here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07620

I can guess that there is some hardware driver that hp has put in it, that the window 2000 does not recognize. A way that hp makes it difficult to use the board without going to them to buy the discs to run it.

Help. The easiest way is someone that has the cds that came with the computer, for a fresh, os install. It origianlly came with xp home edition.

Any other ideas.?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

What brand name hard drive did you replace, and what brand name did you put back in? Also, what is on primary IDE, including all drives, how they are jumpered, and where are they placed on the cable. Do the same for the Secondary IDE port. That should help us to know what kind of problem you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What brand name hard drive did you replace, and what brand name did you put back in? I put in a new seagate drive.

I do not know what brand of drive it originally came with the computer.

Also, what is on primary IDE, including all drives, how they are jumpered, and where are they placed on the cable.
I have only the one new drive in this computer, no other slaves or anything.

Do the same for the Secondary IDE port. That should help us to know what kind of problem you have.

The secondary ide port is just the cd-rw.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
What brand name hard drive did you replace, and what brand name did you put back in? I put in a new seagate drive.

I do not know what brand of drive it originally came with the computer.

Also, what is on primary IDE, including all drives, how they are jumpered, and where are they placed on the cable.
I have only the one new drive in this computer, no other slaves or anything.

Do the same for the Secondary IDE port. That should help us to know what kind of problem you have.

The secondary ide port is just the cd-rw.
Hi,

New drives normally (well, the majority anyhow) come as cable select on the jumpers. What I would suggest is that you set that jumper to MASTER and put it on the END of the ribbon cable.

I am assuming that you (from what you said) do not have anything else on that cable and that is fine.

Are you sure you have the newer 80 connector cable instead of an older 40 connector cable? If not, find one of the newer ones, because you will get errors on there a lot if the old drive (and many older drives work with the 40 connector cable) was on a 40 connector cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New drives normally (well, the majority anyhow) come as cable select on the jumpers. What I would suggest is that you set that jumper to MASTER and put it on the END of the ribbon cable.

I am assuming that you (from what you said) do not have anything else on that cable and that is fine.

Are you sure you have the newer 80 connector cable instead of an older 40 connector cable? If not, find one of the newer ones, because you will get errors on there a lot if the old drive (and many older drives work with the 40 connector cable) was on a 40 connector cable.

Yes, it was on cable select, when i put drive in , as it comes new out of box like that. I have it installed on the new 80 conductor ribbon that comes with the new drive. I have it on the end of the ribbon cable. After that failed, I moved the jumper to the master jumper setting. Same result, it hangs up during windows install on the installation, the hang up occurs when windows attempts to find drivers for the hardware.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Have you tried to do another format and install to see if maybe there was a general error you can get around?

Another approach might be to use the computer you are communicating with and download the drive manufacturer's utility and have it take a look at the drive for errors. You will find Seatools in this link:

Manufacturer’s websites for the utilities of all drive makes and models

http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.