Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a P2P download programme alot, and i know the risks involved in using such programmes, i was wonderin what software out there can protect me from potential attackers? oh yeah and do Modem/Download Boosters effect dwnload programmes such as BearShare or Limewire? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at Microsoft Update Site.

A good virus scanner is a necessity in today's computer environment. Many virus scanners include active components that protect you from infection without even running a scan. Some good free antivirus programs include:
AVG Free
Avast! Home Edition
AntiVirhttp://www.free-av.com

A firewall is the first line of defense standing between the internet and your computer. Some good free firewalls are:

Zone Alarm
Kerio
Sygate

Adaware SE and Spybot SD are a pair of anti-spyware scanners that should be run every week or two. Although there is some overlap there are many pieces of malware that is caught by one of these and not the other, therefore it is recommended you use both to compliment each other. Spybot also contains two other useful pieces. The first is "Immunize", this helps protect your computer against known exploits. The second is "TeaTimer", with this feature enabled you will receive notifications of all changes to the registry such as programs adding themselves to start-up and you default search page being changed.

Spyware Blaster is a powerful tool that prevents "drive-by" downloads and other unwanted installations. It also uses no system resources, run it once and you're all set. Spyware Guard Is a realtime protection engine to guard your computer from spyware. This program does for spyware what an antivirus program does for viruses.

IE-Spyad is a program that only needs to be run once to protect you from many malicious sites. It adds domains of known adware companies into the Restricted List of Internet Explorer, preventing them from performing malicious actions on your PC.

The MVPS HOSTS file is a file you can download and use to replace your regular hosts file. It prevents many sites from performing malicious actions by blocking the sites from ever being accessed. It also prevents many bad files form working in the vent they do get on your computer by stopping them from "calling home".

Together these programs form a powerful barrier between the Internet and your computer. However, all the programs stand alone and feel free to eliminate any you are not comfortable with. Any protection you add to your PC is better than no protection at all.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
P2P - We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections. This page will give you further information on programs to choose from if you must.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kk thanks for all your help, ill bear this in mind :grin: Vikesrock8411, nice list, ive used some of that software before and i found it to be good, i used AVG and Spyware Guard and Blaster, they were good, i'll be sure to take a good look at all of them.

Tetonbomb - whats a re-infection? is that basically getting infected with a same virus/malware that the machine was previously infected with?

Oh i dont mean to sound rude but i noticed that no-one answered my question about modem/download accelorators, i guess im in the wrong area for that type of question, what room should i go to about my querie about modem/dwnload boosters?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The P2P speech Bob posted is a speech that we give to everyone with P2P that seeks help in the Hijackthis! help forum. Because they are there they are infected and re-infections is simply getting infected again. I believe his main purpose was to give you the link that details which programs are clean and which aren't.

I didn't answer your other question simply because I don't know how those programs work and if they would help P2P in the same way. From very limited research it looks like many of them would, but I would advise you to stay away from Download Accelerator Plus. Your best bet for finding someone who does know would probably be the Networking or Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea kl thanks a bunch :) ill ask about the boosters in tat section *thumbs up*

P

·
0 Posts
When you click on install button you agree with the terms and conditions of the software. Basically you sign an agreement. So when you give the permission you welcome them in. When you clean up the infected files and folders you cant use the p2p software. And even you do a good clean up without corrupting the software the infection is regenerated shortly after your clenaing. So best thing is not to install or uninstall them for good.

Was i a little tough ? :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
PurpleSky said:
When you click on install button you agree with the terms and conditions of the software. Basically you sign an agreement. So when you give the permission you welcome them in. When you clean up the infected files and folders you cant use the p2p software. And even you do a good clean up without corrupting the software the infection is regenerated shortly after your clenaing. So best thing is not to install or uninstall them for good.

Was i a little tough ? :)
GOOD advice!!!! :4-cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No scott u wernt too tough, worded beautifully aswell may i add lol thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oldmn u heard about my other problem?

Annoying spam like pop-up things?

ill see about gettin all this protection. Then the pc will be a iron fortress on a hill surrounded by moats... :laugh:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No it hasnt yet, however i have resolved it now, if you take urself to it and read my last post ull see :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.