Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere but I can't find my answers. I have a client of mine who has 2 different workgroup, one BIBLIO and one INTERNET. On a workstation in BIBLIO there is a drive that contains a DOS base program to manage library books and magazine, they use it all the time from three other workstations in the library.

My client wants to disable the access form workgroup INTERNET to go into the drive where COBA resides.

Now I tried to put a readonly and a full access password on the drive that the COBA(management software) resides, it worked users in workgroup INTERNET can't access the drive BUT the COBA application won't run on other workstations on the network because it doesn't recognize the request for a password, it issues an error, I looked in the application options to find a setting that would enable COBA to prompt the user for a password to access the drive, but couldn't find anyting.

Is there any way that I can make workgroup BIBLIO in "Entire Network" in network neiborghood, disabled from users in INTERNET, could I make it invisible to users in INTERNET? is there any software available for that? what are my options?

Remember I can't put any password to the drive where COBA resides, this is very important! I have block access to users in INTERNET to go into workgroup BIBLIO.

I thought of creating different IP address, but all computers use high speed broadband internet access which the settings for access is based on IP and DNS addresses.

My last resort is to create two different network, presenlty all workstation are hooked up a single hub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mario

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
In windows 98 and 95 unless you have a NT server then workgroups are computer specific not user specific making the file user specific is impossible unless NT or 2000 server is involved and even then the file would have to be stored on a NTFS partion on the server.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
JAMMAN's right we need to know what we're dealing with before we can tell your what to do, specifically what OS is your server running.

Instead of changing IP addresses you could try changing Subnets on one workgroup and creating a gateway to route the traffic.. but it would still rely on an acceptable OS running as your server so post back and let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OS involved

Hey guys,

Thanks for you reply! This network has no server all systems are running Windows 98 SE. I know its too bad I can't implement user level permission like NTFS file systems, its so nice when you can work with NTFS.

Thank you again!

Mario

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, It is easy in 98. Like tech suggested, change the subnet mask for the computers in the biblio workgroup. One problem- no other network rescources will be able to be shared between the two subnets. You won't even be able to see them.

But I think that's what you want.

BTW, I have a home network and just tried it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JAMMAN said:
Ok, It is easy in 98. Like tech suggested, change the subnet mask for the computers in the biblio workgroup. One problem- no other network rescources will be able to be shared between the two subnets. You won't even be able to see them.

But I think that's what you want.

BTW, I have a home network and just tried it.

Can computers on different subnets access the same internet connection?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok. This will work for sure. SPEND THE $150.00 AND UPGRADE TO WIN2KPRO ON THE ONE MACHINE. Then you can have complete control...................

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

It should still work ... depends on how they access the net , how are you connected to the internet now? Router or Proxy?.....but if you have the cash and are not looking to pull your hair out over this Jamman has the answer for you: get Win2k.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:) marcomnet meant to post this but must have accidentally send me a PM on it instead...

Router or Proxy?
Presently the way they are setup (and I'm not the one who did this setup!) they have a cable modem which is connected to a 8 port hub 1 workstation in BIBLIO is setup with IP, DNS and Gateway to access high speed service, all other workstations share that connection. There is no router no proxy of any kind just PC, Hub and Modem.

Thanks for your help!
no problem it is what they pay me for.....wait a minute!:scared:... oh well,
Sounds like the one all the computers connect to is the one with some form of proxy. Is the computer with direct net access also running WIN98 and is it S.E.?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.