Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was having problems with a cracked version of windows 7 and so decided to go blank slate: a legit copy of Windows XP from about 10 years ago. Please don't comment by calling me a cheapskate (for not buying Windows 7) or a pirate (for using the cracked version), as that's just not interesting. This is a computer for a friend (I run Linux on my own computer).

Installing didn't work initially, and I found out I had to slipstream SATA drivers using a tool called nLite.

I managed to install everything using the ISO file that nLite made, including slipstreamed SP3. Great.

Everything is running lightning fast compared to 7, only one problem, a "Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions" error.

Now the microsoft support page for this suggests it's malware, which is highly unlikely, since this error ocurred even before connecting the new install to the internet. I know that the original disk is completely clean, as I bought it from microsoft, and I guess I can assume nLite is clean. I have installed very few programs, and none of them are cracked. So it's most likely not malware.

I inserted the CD as it requested, and it trundled through and completed without complaining. After restart, it complained again.

I run sfc /SCANNOW from command prompt, and after fifteen minutes or so of "please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions", with my custom XP SP3 disc in the drive, it finishes without complaining. I assume the job is complete.

If I run sfc /SCANNOW again, with the CD out of the drive, but it says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now."

Well, haven't I already done that? I click cancel, it asks me if I'm sure I want to skip this file (what file? it doesn't say), I am sure, and then it spits the same error at me again. I don't know how many of these errors it wants to produce, but it's a lot, more than 10, and I get tired and just put the CD in the drive.

What gives? Why won't it copy the files over and then stop complaining?

I have disabled some windows services using services.msc (to speed it up). Stuff like "terminal services", which I'm pretty sure the user will never need. I don't know if that is relevant.

Well, if you're still reading this and have any advice to offer, three cheers to you.

·
Premium Member
41,752 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter
In the Event Viewer System log to see what the file name is, then decide what to do.

The event will look something like this example:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64005
Date: 1/10/2011
Time: 2:41:56 PM
Description:
The protected system file taskmgr.exe was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction.
When you know what the file is, you can decide what to do about it. There are probably already other copies of the file(s) on your system or you can get the file(s) from another source.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.