Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XP refuses to boot, even in Safe Mode and comes up with an error message about corrupt files.

Before I tackle this further, I want to back up the data, which in the current state can only be done by taking out the hard drive and putting it into another PC. Fotunately, it can all be read, except for a user directory in Documents and Settings. There are a number of users set up on this PC and one of them has password protected their login and if I try to copy or open their directory, I get an 'Access Denied' error message.

Is there a way of getting round this?

·
Registered
336 Posts
comes up with an error message about corrupt files

If it's not too late you might want to write down the errors and do a google search.

If you log in as Adminstrator can you access that directory?

Can you get the password and access it?

Can you install XP on top of itself and access/backup all directories and then do a clean install? It might save everyone's user directories and it might not...never actually heard of anyone doing it. I would partition the OS on its own drive and save data/programs on other partitions when you reinstall everything.
You would have to reinstall some programs in case of another crash because they would no longer be in the registry but everyones' data would be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update?

Afterdark -

Did you ever have any luck retrieving the user files? I'm having the same problem - my house was struck by lightning and my hard drive no longer functions as a boot drive, although my data is intact. I've reinstalled XP on a new drive and plugged the old one is as slave. I can access everything except my desktop files...

Did you ever manage to get in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Update?

Zoethor2 said:
Afterdark -

Did you ever have any luck retrieving the user files?
Yes I did, although the fact that you can access all your files except the Desktop ones suggests that the problem may bit slightly different. However, this is how I sorted mine, although because the drive is now back in the XP machine, the details below are from memory only.

I am assuming that if you right-click on the Desktop directory, you get 3 tabs, including Security. In the list are those people with access to the directory. Apart from System, there will be your original identity, which of course is different to your new identity and explains why you cannot access the directory (but why it is only the Desktop and not other directories, I don't know).

You need to add yourself to the list and then select Advanced and make sure that you reset the access rights for the directory, as well as making sure you select to propagate the changes through all subdirectories etc.

I hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.