Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my computer is custom built with an AMD Athalon XP 2400+ processor, a 120 GB western digital hard drive, an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 graphics card,and a jetway v400abdl motherboard with updates bios. Now my computer just randomly reboots itself. sometimes this is while playing a game, surfing the internet, or just doing nothing on the desktop. When it reboots it comes up with a stop error that says there is probably something wrong with a device driver, but all my drivers are up to date as far as i know. also i have reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp home with no change in the problem....Besides the random reboots, there is also a problem when running certain programs, such as internet explorer, windows media player, firefox, autodesk inventor, and many PC games. Basically the programs freeze up constantly and ask to send error reports, and then i must reboot the program. This is a problem especially when im working on a report and programs constantly freeze after being in them for maybe only 20 seconds. ive been at this problem for a while with no one haveing been any help to me yet....ive tried testing my ram, changing my video card, updating everything, and testing the the system temperatures....i just dunno what to do anymore, can anyone help?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi tacster...welcome to TSF...

have you tested the hard drive integrity as yet?

Also, have a look in your Event Log for any error references as that may help diagnose the problem...plus the complete Stop Error code may be helpful too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the event log shows several EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED, the stop error has not occured recently but next time it does i will post it...how do u do a test on the hard drive's intergrity? and is there anything else i can do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm facing the same problem..bought this HP AMD 3500+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Integrated ATI Radio Express 200 video card, onboard NIC and from the first month its giving me problems. It just automatically reboots and the programs used to freeze and everything TACster is facing. tried to format the HDD, restored the windows through HP recovery tool, tried to update NIC and video card drivers and still same ****...would just reboot on its own...even though i'm not workin on it or there is no program running but it would reboot...and very randomly...sometimes not even once in one day and sometimes 3 times in 10 minutes.....I'm sick of it...i'm thinking either AMD systems suck or being from a technical background...need to get a standalone NIC and then try that...other than that i guess MB is busted...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problems with system

Hey Brandon

Thx for the reply...checked my MB and found that two of the capacitors were tilted and were touching each other. I separated them and then took out my heatsink and processor and found that both were stuck. Separated them and then installed them back again....Do you think it could be due to capacitors...i'm pasting a link and if you scroll down the page...u'll see the image of my MB...on the left hand side of the 3rd PCI slot, there are two capcitors...those were bent and joint...i'm not sure if the problem persists which MB should i buy...or is there any solution
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...80&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=1122477&lang=en
I appreciate ur suggestions.....thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just recently had the stop error happen on my computer again and attached is all the data i could find regarding it. I also looked at my motherboard but did not see anything that showed signs of bad capacitors or any other problems, i also tried another update to the chipset and it didnt solve anything...the computer still randomly freezes and crashes is common applications and PC games. notably ive been trying to play "city of heroes" lately and it keeps crashing after random intervals while playing.....this problem is bothering me b/c no matter what i do the problem is still there... cant anyone help figure this out?

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Check C:\windows\minidump to see if you have any minidump files (*.dmp). Zip up 5 or 6 (the most recent) and post as an attachment. I'll have a look and see if there's anything obvious.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
It looks like cmuda.sys -- C-Media Audio driver. Try removing it from C:\Windows\System32\drivers and see if your reboots go away.

Maybe you need updated drivers if you already haven't done so. I only had time to see the first log.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Vaneet,

you said you separated the two capacitors and then took out your proc and heatsink and you said you found that both were stuck. What things were stuck? The proc and heatsink? That's normal... if the computer has been off and the thermal paste is cold, the proc will most definitely stick to the heat sink. Otherwise, if you use the computer, turn it off and then take it out, you would be able to separate the proc and heatsink.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Brandon

Thx for the reply....

But the only thing is I never turn off my system.....it's always running....and both were so tightly stuck that when i foced pulled out the Heatsink the processor came out with it and i had to use a screwdriver to separate dem...but dere was no damage and i put dem back and everythin is fine....after I did separate the capacitors.....my system still rebooted couple of times....I'm not sure what I'm lookin for or its a MoBo replacement fix....i don't think windows or drivers have anythin to do with it....What do you say....?
Thanx for ur time and suggestions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i looked for updates drivers for teh c-media AC97 but couldnt find anything better than what i had which i downloaded from windows update

·
Banned
308 Posts
Both of you should try this... go to run: and type sigverif. this will check for all drivers that have been digitally signed to make sure they are good and compatible with your system. If you find one that isn't, try deleting and see what happens. I would like to know exactly what your BSOD's say, the JPG's attached that I looked at didn't have anything definitive. It should say something like DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO. Then it should be followed by the stop error code. ie: 0x0000870F or something like that. That's the information we need.

Try doing this, this was posted by another User: Dumb Terminal. This could be useful.

Reason # 120,978 to hate XP Home

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Then you will get the blue screen instead of a random restart
Copy that info into your next post.

Follow that, that will take care of your random reboot and should tell you exactly what is wrong.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here is the results of my signiture varification and they look like they all passed, plus my automatic restarts were already set to unchecked and ive still never got the blue screen , but just a reboot...

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
tacster,

You have signs of a hardware problem, most likely faulty memory. Faulty memory means faulty RAM, cache memory of CPU or video memory. Run Memtest86+ (link + instructions) to test your RAM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive already ran sevaral memory tests and let them run overnight, but none of them came up with any errors, what else could it be?

·
Registered
455 Posts
It can be very hard to isolate a hardware problem. Some things you can try.

1.If you have more than one stick of RAM, run with just one, if it still crashes then swap with the other one.
2.Try a different memory slot.
3.Try downclocking the RAM.

·
Banned
308 Posts
It's also possible you guys could both be experiencing overheating. Try taking off the side cover of your computer and putting a fan directly on it and see if that quells the problem. If it does, upgrade your cooling method. Get a bigger CPU fan. As Peter said, your ram could be bad/overheating too. Another culprit could be your PSU (power supply unit). One of you said that it happens while you're playing a game... this could be tied to a faulty PSU or it could be because you have a faulty/overheating GPU (graphics processing unit). Just try taking off the case and putting a fan on it.

Regards,

Brandon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.