Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem on my desktop PC for a while now, but when it started happening on my brand new laptop, I decided to post here:

If I attempt to load firefox or internet explorer shortly after starting windows, nothing happens. I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to see if iexplore.exe or firefox.exe are running, but the task manager does not appear. I can open some folders and general programs (such as CD autoruns or setup files), but not all, fine, and internet programs do not start. After several minutes, suddenly all of the programs I attempted to load previously open at once.

It doesn't happen every time either, just sometimes.

I've been through the HijackThis forum, they tell me I have no problems in my log.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sounds like bloatware. Bloatware is all the junk your PC manufacturer puts on the PC when they ship it to you, such as ITunes, MusicMatch, Nero, etc. They all usually start at startup. Go to Start>Run>Type "msconfig" without the quotes. Go to the startup tab. You should see a whole list of files/programs. Uncheck anything that you do not need/want and hit OK. Restart and click the checkbox and OK on the message that appears on boot. It should load faster now. If not, let us know.

BMR777

·
Registered
147 Posts
I no longer use Norton, however, it caused a similar problem. Everytime I started up it would cause major lag for about a minute or two. If you have Norton, it may be furthering the problem. Just an FYI.

CMA

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done as you suggested and everything seems to be working. However, I have had a feew days when it has been fine anyway, so I'll get back to you on Monday and let you know.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if you have them networked,there can be a considerable delay while it searches for the networked comps

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would understand that but for three things:

The problem happens sporadically, sometimes I can start without problems, other times I cannot.

The computers are most often NOT networked, and the problem happens even when the network cable is unplugged.

I can get as far as the desktop. All icons are displayed, and I can open folders without delay.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
hello
you have a dual boot computer?
get rid of the "wallpaper" exe program thats listed in your log. you have a very "busy" system.... how much memory do you have in your machine?
did you run ewido? im not convinced your clean yet.
run it from the link below
post back

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wallpaper is the wallpaper changer from microsoft, I will try deactivating that and see what happens.

I did indeed run ewido, and since then I have run AVG several times.

I have 512MB memory, and even my desktop with 384MB handles more than this one. Besides, my point is that I get to the desktop. Everything is fine. Wallpaper, speedtouch, everything has started. When I try and start a further windows program, it hangs.

No I'm not dual boot, although I will be in the near future.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran a trend micro scan, both housecall and Antispyware.

Housecall turned up nothing, several hits (all fixed now) with Anti Spyware.

I ran also ran the system file checker.

I'll get back to you once I've restarted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything started fine this time round, but I'll need to let you know next time as well as it's been sporadic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this problem as well, I have put it down to my network.

I currently have 2 computers linked (by crossover cable) to 2 seperate adapters on my main computer which connects to the internet.

Pretty much all the time, one or both of the network cables are 'unplugged' (the computer is off).

Try disabling the network connections if they're unplugged?

I haven't tried this, because I load up firefox and winamp before I connect, then I can use them while it's being a *****. :sayyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, everything seemed fine this morning.

I'll come back to this tread if the prolbme resurfaces, but until then, thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been having this exact same problem since I installed a fresh copy of XP, reformatted harddrive, no extra crap, just a clean install of XP. I only have 3 small programs set to start in msconfig. Turned off any useless services I don't need. I have 24 or so processes total when the computer first starts up. Before it only seemed to happen when I turned off my computer by manually pressing the button on the case, when I shut off through the start menu I never had this problem. Now it seems to happen every time, and explorer.exe also lags on startup, it shows only my wallpaper for a minute or two, then all of the icons and such pop up and it works fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's happening again: I tried disabling the LAN connection, and still my programs took several minutes to start.

Please can someone give me another idea?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Lets back up alittle, you say this is happening on both your desktop and your laptop. Have you installed a program on both of them right before this happened? Are you waiting for all the programs to load before attempting to open IE/Firefox? If your running Norton as your antivirus you will see that it takes it forever to load and if you try to open something before it is loaded you will see delay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only program that I can think might cause it to happen on both (except standard windows processes) could be AVG, but I don't think the appearance of the problem coincided with the installation of AVG.

As I said above, I am using AVG, not Norton.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.