Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I am fairly new to this sight, looks like a very good place to hang around. I have a crashing problem that is driving me nuts. I am an intermediate user and I use my PC as a DAW, ( digital audio workstation ) among other thinigs. ( Specs Below). I am having random program crashes, from mozilla to AVG, IE and even Windows explorer. Once a day or so, it hard restarts. I have XP SP1 with the latest updates, Run Zone Labs Pro, AVG, Spybot, Diskeeper 9, Registry mechanic, (doesn't find much any more). I recently ran Trend Micro's house call and found literally nothing. This also happens in F8, and another profile. :4-dontkno Last event that i found is I tried to start Diskeeper 9 and it says it failed to connect to service. tried to reinstall and the install service fails. This is interesting, went to sys. info in accy's and it says can't display info, may have been moved. I have done what I know to do before posting but am at my technical skill limit. I may be OK with reinstalling XP. I have a slipstream SP2 disk ready. I need to know if I can install with out formatting or if I need to move all my critical files to the 2nd HD. Any help would be appreciated.

Spec. 2 year old MSI 6255 P4 1.6, 764 ram, dual WD hard drives, one removeable, Profesional sound card, Aardvark PCI 4 in, 6 out, SPIDIF, MIDI. MSI CD/RW, DVD ROM, Boston Acoustic powered active sound.
Mozilla suite, IE6
Cubase, Wavelab
Fixed wireless broadband

P

·
0 Posts
We should make sure your system is %100 clean. Click on greyknights link below and follow the instructions. ( a clean up never hurts + i am sure you ll enjoy it )

Crashes in safe mode makes me think this is more of a hardware problem. Click download and install speed fan below and give us your system temps. And please do a physical clean up in your case especially heatsink and fans.

we are waiting for your cleaning results and temp values.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
also
check your device manager for any yellow conflict symbols
give us the specs on your power supply - make/size
post back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No conflicts in device manager, need to install programs and run, take covers off box for power supply. will post back ASAP. Need to fix cars too! thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran Cleanup, cleared 270 meg. running temp monitors,
ACPI 37.5
Temp 1-39
Temp 2-41
HD0-42 to 46
HD1- 42 to 44
V core 1.71

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PurpleSky said:
proceed with the other instructions that you have been following.
OK. last bit of instructions.
Power supply. WIN 300PS, 300 watt
no hard restart today, just IE and mozilla crash
Cooler rainy day, temp on toolbar is 37.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is 40 deg C. too high as well. Should I just install a better power supply as a matter of course?. thanks for resonding. tr

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I dont see any specs for your video, unless I missed it. A 300 watt psu should be enough for your system, unless it is bad of course :rolleyes:

You might as well Run the System File Checker. Make sure none of your files are missing or corrupt.

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran defrag and SFC over the weekend, SFC ran OK but I got no report at the end ? Cleaned out the case real good. There was som dust collection on the chip. Also, the little fan in the removeable hard drive has stopped. I will replace that today.

I ran my large Audio programs after this and they ran with out a glitch for a full day. I am wondering if there is any reason to do SP2 on this unit?
Once agian thanks for the help. I have learned a good deal again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try getting the computer to display the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)
start > My Computer (right-click) > properties > advanced > Startup and recovery settings button > take tick out of "Automaticaly restart" (under system faliure panel) > OK > OK > restart

Now instead of restarting the computer should show you an error and maby give us an idea of what is causing the problem most commonly it will be down to overheating, RAM, video card and i find alot of the time it is a USB device causing errors, run with just mouse, kb, mon and power

see how that goes and then come back with the results :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.