Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a friends desktop (Acer M1100, Vista home pre.) that the original 250gb SATA HD crashed. So I installed a new 750gb SATA drive, reloaded windows, then hooked up the 250gb HD to see if it really is dead. Well after tinkering with it and getting windows to see it (although not with a drive letter so it could be viewed in explorer), I ran killdisk to completely wipe the drive clean. Well at 99% it crashed, some sort of error that I don't remember now and now device manager doesnt see the drive (but I havent rebooted yet either). Is there any free programs that I can use to truely see if this HD is toast?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh you would have to ask that.......seagate barracuda. thats all I can get you for now and unfortunately by the time I can get you more info, I prob wont have enough time to wait for a reply. Im gonna tinker with it some more tonight, finishing installations, but I'm gonna return it tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
You can try seatools, but the results aren't really specific as to the issue. You could also try scanning with MHDD using the remap function in case it is bad sectors. Might be able to squeeze a little more life out of the disk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh I also forgot to mention. I used the seagate installation disk that came with the retail HD I bought for my computer. I tried using it to install the drive to give it a drive letter (I dunno if that can be done thru windows itself, I've been unsucessful in finding the option). But it popped up with a warning that theres only one drive installed. Even though both drives showed up in device manager, the seagate program wouldnt/couldnt find the 250gb drive. in cmos/bios/which ever it is, it recognized the 750 as master and the 250 as slave.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Don't use those disks, they lay down a Drive configuration Overlay which can cause issues down the road. If you set up the disk thru disk the OS installation or in Disk management you will get better performance. The only valid reason to use the installation disk that comes with any drive is if the BIOS is outdated and doesn't have an upgrade and doesn't support LBA48 for bigger drives. The installer probably couldn't identify the drive because it is from a different family and using completely different firmware and hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.