Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am the newbie and would appreciate some help on the following issue:

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 machine running on xp/3 (home version). This machine is about two years old and I have had very few problems during that period.

As best I can describe it here is the problem:

The desktop program icons have all taken on the same generic appearance, with the exception of "Internet Explorer" and the "Re-Cycle Bin". If I click on any of the icons the program will not open. However, I can browse all of the files associated with that program, locate the exe file, click on it and the program will open.

I have tried a number of potential fixes including the"tweak UI" repair program, all to no avail.

Your help on this problem would be apprecaited at your earliest.

Regards,

mikeandsylvia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spike,

A little more info would be appreciated as I am not an expert in changing stuff in the PC.

Also, Can this procedure produce any other type of problems that could give me further headaches?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Regards,

Mikeandsylvia

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Another safe way to "attempt" to fix it is to do system flie checker.

Start->run: type sfc /scannow and press enter

The scan may take an hour or so but it will attempt to fix file issues.

And there are no problems that can arise.

The lst guy gave a link but usually those links are free because they install spyware in the background. I am not saying that site does but I would not do it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi mikeandsylvia :smile:

While it is true that clicking certain links can cause malware to be downloaded, those links on Doug Knox's site (the site spike2me mentioned) are trustworthy and genuine.

The files you need to download are designed to repair specific parts of your Windows registry (that's the bit that is most likely causing your problem) and are zipped (or compressed) to speed up the download time.

So, you need to download a couple of files, unzip them and then run them.

Download
Follow spike's link to the download page (it's this one - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm ). Click on the 9th item in the list - 'EXE File Association Fix' - and choose the option to Save the file. I recommend saving it to your Desktop so you can easily find it. Do the same with 19th item on the list - 'LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix'. Close any open windows so you can see your Desktop.

Unzip
- Double click on the first file you downloaded - named xp_exe_fix.zip - to start the unzipping process.
- In the window that opens, select 'Extract all files'.
- Click Next.
- Choose to extract the file to your Desktop.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish when done.

Repeat for the other file you downloaded - named linkfile_fix.zip

Running the files
On your Desktop you will see a file named xp_exe_fix.reg. Double click this file. You will get a warning box pop up asking if you are sure you want to add information to the registry (or similar wording). Click Yes.

Repeat this procedure with the other file - named linkfile_fix.reg.

(It doesn't really matter where you download the files to, or where you unzip them to, so long as you can find them again. The Desktop is usually the easiest place).

Reboot your computer and let us know if the problem is fixed. If so, we can remove those files as they won't be needed any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.