Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My desktop computer came originally with windows me. Several years ago I got windows xp professional version that gradually was updated by Microsoft to sp3. Few weeks ago my pc didn't want to boot, probably I got virus, and I couldn't find my windows xp disc. I turned up entire house but it never showed up. I bought online another disc – windows xp sp2 home edition. I loaded it to my pc but Microsoft tells me that coa is invalid. I entered the production key that come with this disc several times and each time I got invalid key. Is there any help with the production key? Is there a way to activate my windows xp disc? Please help.

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
Do a fresh install of XP Home Sp2. This will wipe any personal files from your computer so backup any files you can't live without first. Put then XP CD in the drive and reboot the computer. Boot off of the XP CD. You may need to boot into Setup (Bios) and set the Boot Priority to be CD rom drive first boot device. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD. This starts the Windows installation. When you get to the Partition Information, Format the Windows Partition and Install Windows.
What is the make and model # of your computer? After installation go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager any devices with Yellow flags need to have drivers installed. Go to the computer manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your make and model # and download any drivers you require from the Device Manager.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.