Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow group members,

Who here works as a Product Manager, Project Manager, Agile Account Manager or in IT Support?

Can you please tell me if your work life/personal life is balanced? Do you get to finish work on time? Are you expected to do anything work-related in your own time, for eg. practice with programming languages?

I am thinking of going into one of these careers but just need to make sure that I will have a balanced life when I do so as not all jobs in this current day-and-age grant this. And yes I do have knowledge on programming languages.

Your help is very much appreciated, many thanks.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,772 Posts
Basically you have a choice in life. Work hard and be successful or enjoy the balanced life you desire, but do it on a less than satisfactory income. Yes that's cold, but someone needed to tell you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is no such thing as work/life balance in corporate IT. Management expects your work to become your life (long hours/on-call/working nights and weekends). Whatever free time you have will be expected to be spent studying for and obtaining or renewing technical certifications to keep your job. Corporate management views people with technical knowledge as assembly line workers and will fire you on a whim regardless of performance merely to reduce head-count and enhance balance sheets (IBM, HP, et al).

This is my experience after over 25 years in corporate IT for various Fortune 50 companies. I started as IT Support, then Server Support, WAN Engineer and finally Project Manager. Yes, the money was awesome. That was the only good thing. You give 100%, they want 110%. You give 110%, they want 120% and so on. I pretty much burned out.

I have several friends and collegues who have worked in IT for many years (Developers, Product Managers, Project Managers, Data Center Technicians, Agile Project Managers) that share my perspective.

This post is not an attempt to discourage anyone wanting a career in IT I am merely setting expectations.

If you value your free time and like being treated with respect then IT is not for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard somewhere about this exam, and I guess it is tough to pass it if you didn't learn all of that stuff. The boost are you giving it's excellent for people who are getting ready for that exam. I think IT university and the technical one are related somehow. I'm the guy who finished Technical University three years. At that moment, I was studying IT and taught it also. It was an excellent opportunity to read all the news there about the IT world.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spammers gonna spam
I heard somewhere about this exam, and I guess it is tough to pass it if you didn't learn all of that stuff. The boost are you giving it's excellent for people who are getting ready for that exam. I think IT university and the technical one are related somehow. I'm the guy who finished Technical University three years. At that moment, I was studying IT and taught XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. It was an excellent opportunity to read all the news there about the IT world.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,772 Posts
I changed the spam BB was referring to and Xed it out in the Reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi BBScaller,

Your response is very much appreciated. The honesty contained within your answer. The truth can be brutal, but at least you have answered my question as honestly as you can.

By giving me insight, I know what I am up against. I totally get the updating your certificates bit, that is the same for ANY career, whether you are a Car Technician, Gas Engineer, or Software Developer. Things are always changing so you need to be skilled up in high profile careers.

My problem is more referring to the overtime you have mentioned, though overtime every now and again is not a major problem.

Thank you very much for your wisdom.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
Corporate IT has high expectations and demands but there are other things you can do with IT knowledge where you can have a life as I have a build and sell business with repairs where I do what I want when I want so you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts