Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I would appreciate if someone could please help me - I need this computer this weekend.

(and yes you can shoot me for being so stupid later :dead: )

I had a WinXP home installation on my old pc, I also had a new PC that I wanted that WinXp home to go on to. Well, instead of finding out the cd-key first, I just ran sysprep... *bangs head on the floor*

The changeover went just fine...up until it asked me for a cd-key....

Here is the deal:

I have a 20gig HD with WinXp on it, just one partition, NTFS... (I need to keep this drive, but I cannot boot with it without the cdkey.) BUT it somehow or another has the cdkey on it.
I have a 20gig HD that I do whatever with - currently installing Win98... *That does not support NTFS (right???) so it will not even see the other 20gig hd...

I need some way of getting the cd-key off of a slaved (cant be done in dos, right?) drive
I need to know if putting some freeware OS (Linux???) on the second 20gig would allow me to see the first, NTFS drive, and then also find the darn cdkey.

Thanks for your time -

Steelman

P.S. If ALL ELSE fails I'll go to MS and get another cdkey for $10

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem at all - I just did not want there to be a misunderstanding from the start, thats all.

The product key I have on the side of the tower is for WinXp home, but it does not work. Weird! :4-dontkno

Anytime I call MS - they want to know what the CD looks like - but I do not have one! And they can't help me past that - no matter what I do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with a Key. I run Win2kPro And have not found a good reason to change.
It is weird that the key on the side of the box will not work. Unfortunatly there are shops out there that build systems, install software and not give the buyer the cd's, A lot will turn around and sell it again till someone asks for the cd then they find out that it has been registered before.
I would definatly get with microsoft and get a replacement cd and key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.