Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie.

Can processors be replaced, updated, or upgraded? I mean, what are they? Is it some kinda chip on my motherboard? I can tell you, if I right click My Computer, I can say my specs are:

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
1.20 GHz
512 MB RAM

But some of my games require 1.7 GHz. I'd like to upgrade my processor, but I'm so clueless, I need to know what I'm doing. Is it possible to upgrade, replace the processor? Does anyone know any good price ranges? Am I supposed to get a new motherboard? That's enough questions, I'll stop. :tongue: :grin:

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
If you post your model of motherboard, we can give you a better answer. You may be able to just replace the CPU.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look at it with a flash light. . . and I kinda have trouble. The computer is a Gateway machine, I think the model number is this... or that...

F2 E203413 (On the same line as this code, is a backwards "R" and a U, RU)

or

MS-6389 Ver 1.0

I really can't tell if that's right or not. I'm going to look up Gateway.com and see what I get, but I need to get to bed, it's late here. I'll check this tomorrow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an online discussion with the dude at gateway. He suggested to take the computer tower to a store to look at size and such. He suggested that the store should assist me in doing so, but he said I could do it myself. I'd rather take a change and learn some hardware stuff and try this myself.

I asked him what I should look for in what could be compatible, but for some reason he didn't reply, and about 20 minutes passed. How do I know what to look for in a mother board? The link you gave me is really neat, but I'm clueless on the technical stuff.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If you look at the top of Terrister's link, it says your motherboard can take an Athlon CPU between 1000 and 1400mhz. If your games require a minimum of 1700mhz then unfortunately you will need to buy a new motherboard and CPU to play them.

You can find out more information about your PC using Everest Home Edition. Free download from www.lavalys.hu/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A new motherboard for me I guess. The CPU is a chip on the motherboard right? They're not two seperate things?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.