Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if windows me has a program to monitor processes being run by the computer similar to that of xp and win 2000 because i notice abnormal processor usage on my laptop for no apparent reason. i'll unload almost all the processes from the task monitor when u press ctrl + alt + delete (except those needed to run) and i have also tried running my comp with-out an active desktop and i still receive high processor usage. NOTE: i know for a fact that this is not due to insufficient ram. I have a ram monitor program and it is working correctly showing when i do and do not have ample ram open on the system. are any programs available to perhaps regulate or at least monitor my cpu usage? i think background processes are being run without my knowledge or need for them and i'd like to stop them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I get the same problem, but on a pc not laptop. The highest system resorces i ever get, even if windows is the only thing running, is about 73% and thats really not good. I have 512mb ram and a P3 1.13ghz cpu so why is my resorces so low all the time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im going to assume for a second that when you say you notice the processor is working hard that you mean your computer is clicking allot.

If that is the case, the processor actually makes no noise at all, it your hard disk that makes noise. When the computer is idle the operating system takes that time to move data to and from your virtual memory file and to run other mundane tasks such as indexing your hard disk. Thus you hear the disk clicking. However this does not use allot of processor time.

Even if you have 1000 gigs of memory Windows doesn't care it will still page as much stuff as it can into your virtual memory file. Its not actually a bad thing but if you find it annoying you can try reducing the size of your virtual memory file.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually i have an aplication that tells me how hard my processor is working and i find that my cpu is very often working at 100 percent when i'm not doing anything or i've ended most of my aplications. i know that the hard drive is makind the clicking noises but i'm concerned because i wonder why my processor lags when i'm not running more than one simple process such as microsoft word or winamp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
may i also ask how i change the size of my virtual memory alocation? whould this be a bios setting or something i have to set in windows itself?

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
You can change virtual memory settings through windows.
Simply right click on the my computer icon, go to properties.

A window pops up, click the Advanced tab, then click settings in the Performance box.

Then click the advanced tab. Your virtual memory settings should be the only button you see. The button says "Change".

Click that button and change your memory settings any way you would like.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i hate endorsing programs, but you might want to try taskinfo from http://www.iarsn.com/ to show you what you are looking for...

im not a big supporter of manipulating the virtual memory settings since setting it to a static size or disabling with either waste alot of space or give you grief from other programs that require it...

resources and ram are not the same... wish people would figure that out, windows 9x/me uses 16-bit stacks, limited to 64 kilobytes for its resources, as you can tell, 128 Kilobytes (64k for USER, 64k for GDI) does not equal 512MB (ever notice that if you upgrade your ram, your resources dont change?)

Win9x/ME does use 32-bit stacks, however only the 16-bit stacks are reported, since they are rarely a problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.