Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm new to these forums so I apolgise in advance if this is in the wrong section.

Onto my questions.

I have a ASUS A8N-SLI SE motherboard in this current computer. I have had a flick through the motherboard manual and a few sites and have learned that the motherboard is supposely capable of taking a AMD athlon 64X2 CPU.

My question is, what kind of 64X2 can it take effectively without it being to much for the actual mobo to take and not extremely expensive in cost as I do have a budget. Also, is it a relatively easy task of unscrewing the fan + heatsink, lifting the socket leaver and swapping the old processor out for the new 64X2?

I have done a fair bit on computers but not many processor changes and no actual experience on the new dual processors. I'vehad a quick browse around and if the info is correct about the motherboard and it does take a 64X2 processor, then I'm potentially looking at a £30-40 buying cost for the new processor.

I'm just wanting to make sure on the above questions that its capable of taking things before I commit to any kind of purchase.

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Hello Skullcap and Welcome to TSF.

I have the Deluxe version of that board. They'll take any socket 939 CPU. (A64, A64 x2, FX60, Opeteron, etc)

As for the actual process of removing and installing, it's rather simple. You just have to careful to properly discharge the static electricity from your body. The use of an antistatic wristband is recommended.

To remove the heatsink/fan, just flip the lever that is holding it down. Grab the heatsink and gentle twist it from side to side to break the seal of the old thermal compound. Other than that simply follow the instructions in the motherboard manual.

Be sure to purchase some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and check out the link in my signature for instructions on applying the thermal compound.

If you have any other concerns or if you need more detailed help, feel free to ask.

Any of the processor linked here will work. (Note, if you buy an OEM cpu you'll also need to pick a heatsink and fan rated for the CPU)

http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Processors-AMD/subcat/AMD-Athlon-64-----Sempron-----X2-Dual-Core-(Socket-939)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greetings,

thanks for answering the questions about the install process, it seems simple enough to sort out and I have done the bit about the paste before. I'll make sure all required components are there.

On thelink you provided, it doesn't quite list the items, just sorta errors.

If I'm reading correctly, one of these should work with the mobo I noted:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (2GHz) Socket 939 512KB L2 Cache OEM Processor.

I don't quite understand duo cores completely yet, I'm under the impression its two processors in one running twice as fast. So for example, 2 ghz processors put together to make a 4ghz processor, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

In the example above, does that mean it only runs at 2ghz? as that would mean it would be the same speed as the current processor in this computer. A quick explaination into it might give me a better idea in regards to what kind of preformance improvements I'm looking at.

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Sorry about the missing replies. We've been have some issue with the server updates.

Since I know you read the my reply to the dual core questions, I'm not reposting that.

I think I would spend 5 more Euro on the 3800+ X2. It's got better stepping and a better memory controller.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134127

Here's a good cheap cooling solution.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/101471

Le me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links and recommendations. I will probably pick those in the new year and upgrade then. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the installation ahd the motherboard will be happy with it.

Skull

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heya, just alil update. I've gone with the processor and heatsink system suggested and they arrived today, relatively easy installation, the fan +sink was huge so took abit of time to put in, easiest way I found in the end was to remove the graphics card and PSU to get access.

I also managed to find some suitable ram chips and now have 3gigs of ram. With the dual processor, do I need any kind of programs beyond updating the drivers, which I've got from AMD? Just to max out performance.

Thanks for the suggests on components, much appreciated and its working very nicely so far, fingers crossed :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes theres 2 processors in the monitor window, shows them both working nicely. However, when I try to run the optimizer, it doesn't seem to show any kind of window or indication that its running, theres also no icon i the tray. I assume it just loads once and thats it. Not really sure.

The computer seems to be purring like a kitten right now though, quite happy with it.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
from the same web page that had the optimizer / look for the AMD Power Monitor

I think you will find that little program fun to play with and it will teach you how a dual core REALLY works

when you start an intensive application; like a virus scanner you can then see how much of both cores you are really using

same thing with multi tasking

enjoy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello again. I don't know if you can help with the new problem which has arised from the above hardware installation.

I thought for alittle it was just to loud sound on my part by setting the volume and htings at levels which would make crackling and popping but it doesn't seem to be that.

I've noticed my onboard sound and my audigy sound is now crackling and popping ingame after installing the new processor. I don't know if this means the PSU is having its power used up and is causing the issue or weather its something else. Its happened in XP and Vista and I've not been able to resolve this issue by updating drivers and removing hardware like network cards and so on next to the sound card to fix it that way.

I know the crackling and popping wasn't there before the new processor, but the processor is checking out running fine, no heat issues and theres no other parts of the computer acting up. I'm quite stuck on what to do or weather I've a missed some options in the BIOS which effects anything.

the PCI soundcard is a SB Audigy and the onboard is a AC97, they didn't have these problems before. The best way I can discribe the sounds is like when you take the needle off one of those old black music disc, its a sudden blurt of a sound then gone again, but happens frequently with the odd popping sound here and there.

I've done everything I can software wise, I'm guessing now its a hardware problem. I've also ran directX diag and done all the sound tests there but theres no problems.

I would appreciate any insight or anything to try to fix the problem.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if you are using a PCI slot sound card you need to enter the bios and disable the onboard sound ???? (in the peripherals section of bios)

keep us posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have enabled and disabled the onboard sound, removed and installed the PCI sound card with onboard sound disabled and the problems still persists.

As noted in my last post, the problems didn't start to the new processor was put in. Even though the new processor seems to work fine and doesn't show any issues, I'm wondering if the newer processor compared to the old is taking more power from the PSU compared to the old one, wouldn't that create anomolies in sound if the PSU can no longer provide enough voltage to all components compared to before because of the more powerful CPU and cooling system?

I'm not really sure. :4-dontkno

Edit: some power readings from the BIOS:

Vcore Voltage: 1.36v
3.3v Voltage: 3.31v
5v Voltage: 4.99v
12v Voltage: 11.84 - 11.74v

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
what is the make and model of your PSU ????

I have never seen a cpu upgrade cause such things / I dont think its directlty the fault of the cpu

maybe power supply / maybe corrupt drivers

do you have another hard drive you could do a fresh install of windows with leaving your system as is now and then check to see if the same problem exists ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.