Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a new P4 2.8 GHz processor with HT, a Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo, and 1 GB Corsair PC3200 RAM. My other system specs are a 9700 Pro and an 80 GB Western Digital hard drive. After installation of the parts and reformatting and a fresh install of XP, a game will crash about 5 minutes into playing and Windows reboots randomly. Windows crash analysis says it's a device driver, but I have the newest drivers for all essential parts. Any ideas on what to do?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...a game will crash about 5 minutes into playing and Windows reboots randomly...
Nice mobo. There could be many other reasons for the crash and reboot symptom you describe: even supposedly-good bad drivers that are actually bad. Here's some ideas to start with...

1. What are you using for a firewall, and for antivirus? Reason I say that is, frequent reboots are symptomatic of a Welchia worm.
  2. Have you run Windows Update and installed all the critical updates, plus other updates that are game-related? Reason I ask is, you said it was a fresh install.
  3. Have you installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility? Although the thread text implies it, it's not just required for Asus mobo's, but for all Intel chipsets.
  4. What sort of hard disk(s) are you using, and attached to which port(s)? The Silicon Image SATA controller was known to be having some problems.
  5. Is your memory listed as compatible for the mobo?
  6. Does the problem go away if you turn off Hyper Threading in the BIOS?
Let us know,

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
What is the wattage and brand of your power supply?
What temperature is your CPU running at? The P4 shuts down if it gets too hot, which is a safety feature.
Are you overclocking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. I'm using Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall. I also have a router using MAC address filtering.
2. I have installed all critical Windows updates and have all game patches.
3. When I try to install the chipset utility, my mouse and keyboard don't work at the end of the install. The USB on/off sounds play repeatedly through the install (I'm assuming that it's reinstalling the USB drivers), but then my mouse and keyboard (which are USB) don't work. Therefore, I have to manually reboot and Windows then says I'm missing a system file and I have to use the recovery console. I do that and I can boot back into Windows. Maybe the chipset's busted?
4. I'm using an IDE hard drive and have disabled all SATA function on the motherboard (I'm not using it).
5. The memory should be compatible. I know it was designed specifically for the 875P chipset, but I'll try to check up on whether it's compatible with the mobo.
6. I haven't tried turning off Hyper Threading. I'll try that.

Thanks soooo much for the advice. You've been really helpful clintfan.

And to Mental_Myopia:

I installed the program Motherboard Monitor. My CPU is running at about 44 degrees Celsius on average when running a game. I'm not doing any overclocking.
My PSU is a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another good thing to do for this MoBo, is make sure you've flashed to the latest bios. Mine had a couple issues with the bios version that came on it, but after the update, all has been great. Very smooth and stable with F6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already flashed to F6. Thanks for the tip though. I also left my computer on all day and it never restarted. I think next I'll test some games again and then will test memory and more BIOS settings and such.

Does anyone know if the onboard LAN for this mobo has a problem when another LAN card is installed? I installed a second LAN card and didn't know if this had any effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is for Clintfan.

Do you think I should try another fresh install of XP and then immmediately install the chipset drivers? On my current install, the driver was installed late--well after video drivers, and many programs.

Remember...the latest attempts at installing the utility in exe form have led me to a Windows that won't boot and a mouse and keyboard that don't work unless I use the recovery console on the XP CD.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...the latest attempts at installing the utility in exe form have led me to a Windows that won't boot and a mouse and keyboard that don't work...
This I find really odd. Mouse and keyboard are really basic functions. You don't have the connectors swapped, do you? Mouse in keyboard socket & vice-versa?

Do you think I should try another fresh install of XP and then immmediately install the chipset drivers? On my current install, the driver was installed late--well after video drivers, and many programs.
What I have said about installing the utility, is based only on what I was led to believe from Intel docs, the ICSIU readme file, my Asus mobo manual, and what other users have reported when they didn't install this first. Even your mobo manual, Appendix 5, suggests the Chipset Driver installs first. I actually have no experience telling non-Asus users to install this utility, you would be the first.

??BTW, did you do their mobo CD install, as described in Appendix 5? Or did you do it yourself piece by piece?
  • It is my understanding if you "run" the utility right after an install, all will be well. But as my thread implied, I never got a chance to try that. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of threads where users have a couple of unconverted devices, so I am bit suspicious that the "run" method maybe doesn't always work right. Maybe like, if some USB devices are already plugged in?
  • It is also my understanding that you cannot successfully "run" the utility after installing other drivers on top of XP. But I don't know why. And I don't know what happens if you try... perhaps you get an incomplete install...?
If you don't have much invested in your setup yet and have an hour to spare, then I would say go ahead and reinstall, unplugging all USB devices. Run the ICSIU immediately afterwards. Then go straight into Device Manager and make sure all the "Standard" devices have been renamed. If not, then we know the "run" method is incomplete, I can stop recommending that, and you will need to refer to the "AFTER" method outlined in the thread, to complete the installation.

If you would prefer not to reinstall, then use the "AFTER" method outlined in the thread. That's how I did it on my Asus, and it worked fine once I figured out how to correctly prepare the floppy. All that detail is in the thread.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. The mouse and keyboard are both USB plugged in the mobo. That may be why they were causing probs. Umm...in device manager, all the proper hardware is properly installed as you said in your article...it's not a "generic" install either. I actually took someone else's advice on using a single stick of RAM instead of two...and my games were running fine. I'm going to try the second stick, but not on dual channel. The dual channel thing may be screwing this all up...it was for the person who posted that advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah.

I think it was the RAM screwing up my computer. I set them in the proper slots to run only single channel, and it appears to work fine. All my games ran without crashing and my computer didn't restart once. Thanks everyone for all the help. If I have any more problems, I'll let you know ASAP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.