Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the deal....I just built a AMD 64 bit system to replace my current system.

The comp works and I have set everything up right....the problem is that I cant use it because XP goes bluescreen everytime I boot to the OS in every mode....trust me I have tried but it still works fine on my old setup.....I have even tried booting through dos mode....it's jsut a no go. ANy suggestions on what I should do.
I went back in and checked cabling and jumper settings. Everything is gine with the hardware.

I am reformatting a hard drive as i type on the 64-bit system. I am not sure what's up with it, all I know is that I dont want to get the xp 64 version for 150, when I can get vista when it comes out for $20 :).

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
if you have just put the h/d from the old machine into the new one,it is looking for the old m/b and when it does not find it,it stops dead in it's tracks
a reformat and reinstall is the best option,you can try a repair install
the last bit interests me is how you will get vista for $20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You get all os's for $20 if you are a college student in the state of Texas lol; office to own is $30. Unfortunately, you only can get one even if you lost it :(.

I get all other microsoft offices and McAffee for free :) at the library.

It was all part of a settlement when the anti-trust came into play.

I am close to done on reformatting....that is what I figured was the best bet...or at least easier than having ot replace all the old drivers and stuff.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wish i'd seen this a month ago when he'd first posted here. If you have the original XP cd from your old pc, you could have done this without losing any of your data. Just put the cd in the drive and reboot. First, you will be asked if you want to use recovery console, skip this and next you will see something like "repair the current installation" with this option, the xp install cd will delete and re-install windows, but it will keep the system settings and all other files intact. I've done this a couple times with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.