Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

Have just bought a brand new XP machine, but not everything is going as I expected.

But one problem at a time.

I have LANed the XP machine to my win 98SE via router. The 98 machine can see everything on the XP machine, BUT on the XP machine, when I go to "My Network Places" it only sees SOME of the drives from the 98 machine, noteably NOT the two hard drives.

BUT still on the XP machine, if I switch to "view workgroup computers" I can access all the drives on the 98 machine. Not critical but annoying and may be indicative of other problems I am experiencing.

Two other computers on the LAN can see all drives one the 98SE machine, allsharing is enabled on the 98 machine.

When I solve this problem I'll post a few more.

Thanks in advance for any clues.

Dins

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Presumably I wouldn't be able to see them via workgroup computers if I h but I can.

Since posting I found a work around: "forcing" network places to see the two hard drives by adding new network places icons pointing to the drive's network addresses manually. It works, but wonder why it didn't happen automatically when it did for all the other drives (floppy/cd/dvd), is there some underlying issue I should be looking at?

Dins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.