Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with videos. I can no longer run 720p mkv files smoothly. I used to be able to with XP (before I formatted a few weeks ago, I've been having problems since then) I also have problems with flash videos on youtube. AVI's and other filetypes also give me problems to an extent, becuase I can't open more than one file at a time without there being lag. Before I reformatted I could open about 6 files before it slowed even a slight slowdown
I'm using Vista 32 bit/ SP1 ultimate
Pentium 4 processor
1 gig of ram
ATI X600 pro
dual screens ( primary at 1900x1200, 2nd at 1220x1080)
any advice?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Hello amarpatel,

After installing Vista did you get the updated drivers(chipset,graphics,etc) for the system?

Make sure that you have the latest version of Flash Player.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the driver for my sound card and video card. nothing like my mobo and stuff like that...my computer came with XP, so idk if I'll be able to get vista drivers...its a HP Media Center 1095c.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question
I have movies in 1080p MKV, thy're really laggy. are there any video cards I can buy that would change that?

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,754 Posts
Hi, Vista is a resource Hog and I am afraid 1 gb does not cut it. You will never solve your slowdown problem unless you get 1gb more memory. P4 is also at the bottom end of running Vista... Me I would have advised staying with XP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice jenae. I'm gona get the codec pack once I get back from school today, and maybe go to best buy and pick up some more RAM.
good thing I still have XP installed on my system too!...odd thing is I'm getting slowdown issues with that partition too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I'm still having problems
I can't run high-res files anymore, not even a .wmv, which used to run perfectly for me before!
I just installed windows 7, vista wasn't cutting it for me
I'm playing the files off an external USB hard drive, WD MyBook 500GB

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Windows 7 is still a beta release so expect problems with it. You may have been able to fix the Vista issues but as jenae advised 1GB RAM is not enough.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Vista is a resource hog and slower than XP. You'd need at least 2GB for comfy performance. You can try cutting down some of the background tasks. In services, just stop the superfetch temporarily to see if it helps (don't set it to manual startup yet).
One thing I'd check is the drivers. Generally if you have an older graphics card, Vista will have bundled generic Microsoft drivers, which usually don't have optimizations like drivers released by the manufacturer do. And if the card is old enough, the manufacturer won't bother releasing Vista drivers! According to this page
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3822&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
you have an ATI Radeon X600 Pro with 256MB of memory. The actual interface is unclear because on one line it says AGP and on the other it says PCI-express X16...
I went to the ATI download page http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
and I picked Vista 32-bit and X600 and it redirected me to
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32
Download link 1 is english only. If you need another language, pick it under download link 2. Hydravision is for multiple monitors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it uses a PCI-E slot.
I'm considering getting a new graphics card, an BFG GEForce 9600 GT w/ 1 GB memory
would that help video performance?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.