Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having wierd problems with the user accounts in XP Pro. I can't change the account type, nor can I delete an account. I have had that happen before. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
On XP Pro, he just has to press ctrl+alt+del twice at the logon screen to login with the username Administrator and a blank password (unless he previously set one).

CowboyJMB, if you can logon with any account with admin privileges, then try going to Start, Run, and type...

control userpasswords2

You should be able to edit your accounts from here. You should also use the "Local Users and Groups" snap-in to manage your accounts on XP Professional.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resolution said:
On XP Pro, he just has to press ctrl+alt+del twice at the logon screen to login with the username Administrator and a blank password (unless he previously set one).

CowboyJMB, if you can logon with any account with admin privileges, then try going to Start, Run, and type...

control userpasswords2

THANKYOU! That fixed it. What I don't understand, is why it wouldn't let me do it in the normal way. Oh well, I won't be creating any new accounts anyway because what I originally was trying to do was have it so if someone was logged in on the physical computer, I could still do a remote connection, but I guess XP doesn't support that like Win 2003 Server does.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Great advise Resolution :sayyes:

But I thought XP Pro only supported remote connection, or was that remote desktop :rolleyes:
In an IT profession, it is hard to keep up with all the differences

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I believe you are thinking of Remote Desktop, Geekgirl. :smile: I think this is what CowboyJMB was talking about doing as well. Practically all versions of Windows can install the client version of Remote Desktop, but only XP/2003 can act as the client or the server. I'm not sure about those other forgotten 2000 server versions of Windows. I just know they have what is called "Remote Administration Mode", where other admins can remotely administer the server.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.