Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a FX5700 in my computer where i previously had a radeon 9600 SE, and everything appeared to go smoothly, i cleaned out all the ati drivers and installed the latest nVidia drivers. After that games would run fine for a while but then randomly freeze up, forcing a hard restart of my computer. The only game where i could get an error message was in the Battle for Middle Earth, but everytime the error messages differed and it dropped me to the desktop at 640x480 complaining about some sort of issue with directx one time, then another time it said some sort of problem with game.dat. i needed to reinstall windows anyways so I did that and got the latest drivers for every component of my computer, and then Call of Duty would play for about an hour before finally freezing again. I have tried a bunch of other random stuff like adjusting the page file size (related to BFME) but so far it just runs for different lengths of time before having problems. this card was used by somebody else before me and I dont think this was ever an issue. I dont think the card is overheating because my case temperatures are pretty low, and the fan on the card is working fine and has not been a problem in the past. my specs are:

AMD Athlon 2900+
Chaintech mobo w/ nVidia nforce 2 chipset
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 GB PC3200 RAM
Geforce FX5700
400W Evermax PSU

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
have a look at the sticker on the side of your p/s and see what amps it puts out and post them,i think the 12v rail is to low from the little i could find on searching,it needs to be around 20a,from seaching all i could find was a reference to 15a in someone else's post

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and replaced the power supply with a 480W thermaltake Xaser, still having the same problems. It doesnt say the amps on the side, im wondering if i may have to take it out and look on the top...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Along with checking the power supply I'd also try slowing the AGP speed down to 4X and disabling fast writes as explained here. It's also worth making sure that the video card isn't overheating by running the machine with the case open and aiming a desk fan at the video card. If it stops crashing then it's getting too hot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i donno what you guys think of non tsf member advice, but if your temps are high any chip especially ram will lock up, so maybe try running a house fan in the side of the case and see if call of duty ever freezes up, you dont want to leave it like that, but its ok for 1 test.
run it right over the ram, see what happens

if it works, then you may have to buy some ram spreaders/sinks and keep your ram cooler

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I've run systems with no panels for a long time. I spend so much time tinkering that I've found it to be a waste of time to fully reconstruct each time. That's just me, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.