Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently built a computer, first time. These are the parts I used to build it:

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP
Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
PSU: CORSAIR CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC PSU
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6750
RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (X2)
HDD: Western Digital WD7500AARS 750GB IntelliPower SATA 3.0Gb
Additional hardware: Asus CD/DVD , ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter

I installed Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit (Its a 64 bit architecture, but I figured that AMD can run 32-bit in a 64-bit system). Everything seemed to be running fine. Installed all the drivers and no problems initially. The real problem happened after two weeks of running that I got BSODs 0x44 and 0x8e. When I got the 0x8e error, the computer kept rebooting, and there was no way to get into the OS. I wished I gotten the memory dumps to display here. I looked up the errors, and thought the problem was with the RAM.

I ran Memtest86+ on a boot cd, and after about a couple of hours, the RAM seemed to be fine, no errors. While it was running, I looked up the Motherboards QVL, and realized that the RAM model was not on the list, and at that point I knew I made a really bad move. Thats pretty much the story.

I have a couple questions. If there really is a compatibility issue, would the computer be able to run in the first place? Secondly, being that the OS is running 32-bit in a 64-bit system, could that also cause some kind of instability and 'think' that there is a problem with the ram?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
there is no 32/64bit configuration

you can run both 32 and 64 bit OS' on any computer(if the comp specs are good enough)

your problem might be the compatibility and since you have 8GB, you must use a 64bit OS which can use all of that RAM effectively
32bit systems cannot recognize more than 3.25-3.75 of installed RAM

Patriot Memory

check here if your ram model is compatible

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked that list and my motherboard is on that list, which means that it shouldn't be the issue. Then I should just aim for a 64-bit OS right?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Your CPU is 64 Bit "capable" but it will run fine on a 32 Bit OS.
0x0000008E does indeed commonly relate to a RAM problem and I have seen many issues with Patriot RAM. Do you have or can you borrow a stick of different RAM to try?
0x44 "could" be a problem with a cordless mouse. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
[Update]
I just finished bench testing. I checked to see if there was damage to the memory or the memory banks, even though I know there wasn't any. I changed the BIOS settings to thier default (I enabled the core unlocking feature, before changing it back to its default)

I did as you said Niram, at first I saw that the RAM is compatible with the motherboard, but it was my eyes playing tricks on me, it wasn't on the list. Tyree I don't have extra DDR3 1333 sticks, nor can I borrow any. I might as well have to buy more. But all of that just took a back seat.

When I rebooted after defaulting the BIOS, I managed to get into the advanced startup, and I chose to disable automatic restart of system failure. When it booted up, I got a new stop error: 0x7b. This one caught me off guard, and I'm still trying to look it up.

[Edit]
Okay, I think I got it. I rebooted it again, and this time, I chose to start with the 'last known good configuration' and this time, the computer completely booted into the OS. Now, I can go over and try to figure out the other errors that I've encountered.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If you change the RAM, go with G.Skill-Mushkin-Corsair ad a 2X2GB matched pair to avoid problems.

STOP 0x0000007B Errors are caused by device driver issues (especially those related to hard drive and other storage controllers), viruses, data corruption, and sometimes even hardware failures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.