Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go completely mental here, so I hope someone can help. I am running a Pentium 4, 2.66 Ghz processor, on an Asus P4S8X-X mobo, with 1 Gb of ram and a Leadtek A310 Geforce FX 5600 Ultra card with VIVO. I've had the system almost two months and didn't have any problems. All of a sudden, now when I try to play games, whether they are full games like Enter the Matrix, or Unreal Tournament 2003, or demos of the Lord of the Rings games, the display crashes. But it doesn't completely quit, it drops down to a resolution of (and I'm guessing here) 640 x 480, parks itself in the upper left hand corner of the screen, and flickers like an old movie! I still have control of the mouse on the part of the screen that's left, but not very much, as a small movement causes the cursor to take off in all directions. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled new drivers from both Leadtek and Nvidia.com, to no avail. I've looked into the BIOS, but it looks okay there, too. I have also used a program called Performance Test, and the card seems to pass the benchmarks there too. Could anyone help with this? Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure the card isn't overheating.
Grab the latest mobo BIOS from Asus.
Grab the latest INF Update from Intel.

Go into your display properties, settings, advanced. Go to the nVidia tab.
Performance & Quality:
Manually select 2xQ Antialiasing and 4x Ansiotropic Filtering.
Direct 3D:
Set Maximum System Memory to the lowest number possible.

In BIOS:
Assign IRQ to graphics
AGP Aperture to 128 (lower if you have a 256MB graphics card)

Make sure the graphics card isn't sharing an IRQ with anything else!

Almost forgot - Make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed, and set up your graphics in the games, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've updated the BIOS, checked on the overheating, and the INF update tells me I need to have a supported chipset and/or operating system for it to work. I d/loaded the XP file, so my chipset must not be supported. I did everything else you said, as far as the antialiasing, etc., but I had to go to work, so I'll check with it tomorrow. Thank you for your help. I'll post back if your suggestions didn't work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This must be the SiS based mobo, which took me by surprise.
Asus Drivers
That link will have the SiS drivers. The AGP 1.17 driver is there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.