Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done my research with Microsoft and their answer did not work. I have a small network at home. A Dell desktop running XP Svc 2 and a Toshiba laptop running Windows Media edition. I use a Linksys router to share the internet and that works fine. I have a 500GB drive connected to my desktop via USB and was always able to share that drive to the laptop. I recenly had to reconfigure the router and decided to rename the workgroup info to reflect current situation. Both units can access the internet so I know the router is working. The laptop recognizes the new workgroup but does not connect to shared drives from the desktop. The desktop shows the new group name but gives a message stating it is not accessible due to permission rights. I am using an admin account. I checked with Microsoft support and it told me with that message I needed to delete the guest account, reboot and enable the guest account to solve the problem. I tried that and it did not work. I was able to share the drives before without any guest account. I am at a total loss for ideas here. All I want to do is share the desktop resources with the laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

-Ken

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Try this on each of the computers.

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.