Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a problem with this before, but today when removing my mobo and putting it back in for an XP-90C install, my external USB slots are malfunctioning. I was pretty sure I plugged them in to the right spots, and have tried many different configurations now (note that my cords for ext. USB in my case are not all together in one neat block, they are seperated in two peices: ground, and USB connection). The CMOS did reset itself when i removed the mobo, so are there any settings I need to change? I have it at 8 USB devices, and Full Speed, with USB 2.0 enabled, Legacy disabled. Should I change anything? If you have a P4C800-E Deluxe, how are yours set up?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
set it to usb legacy enabled, usb highspeed instead of full. Make sure
that all usb devices are enabled, double check to make sure that there
are no more then 8. Double check connectors on mobo. There should
be four pins for each usb connector, which would equal 8, dont mix them
up. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply, the highest it can go is 8...and here is how my USB connectors work in more detail:

I have 2 external USB ports. There are 2 cords inside my case to hook them up, each with a 4 pin section that connects the USB, and 1 pin sectiont hat is connected right to it, but on its own bit of plastic, for a ground. There are 2 sets of 9 pins for external USB on my mobo (which can, I guess, hook up up to 4 external USB ports), and they look this this:

- - - - -
- - - -

I plug the 4 pin section into the bottom 4 pins...but where does the 1-pin ground go in all of the 5 above pins? I distinctly remember that the 4-pin USB connection goes on the bottom 4-pin section...so I guess I'll just have to keep switching grounds until it works. If thats the problem at all...

its funny because every time I would disconect and reconnect them months ago, I'd always think "Wow, I must've got lucky and got them in right again this time." Guess my luck ran out -razz:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
are you sure that you are not using the 1394 connector on the mobo?
Better double check your manual. Looking at my manual the extra pin you
have has NC by it, I thought that stood for no connector, I cant see where
a ground would hurt as long as the other wires are correct. That being
said as long as the four wires for each usb slot are correct, I dont see why
you would have to plug that extra, the 5th wire at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im sure they're not for 1394...the 1394 plug in is at the bottom of my motherboard

plus, those are the spots ive' had my ext. USB slots plugged into for nearly a year now with no problems.

I guess I must have the USB connectors in the opposite way that they are suppose to...even though I'm pretty sure I've tried both ways already...i'll try again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, wow, this sucks...i guess something is really messed up because all the memory sticks I have tried plugging into those ports seem to be broke now. Nothing comes up when iput them in other computers or other ports on the same computer....

This is now a serious problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.