Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Thanks for reading if you've got this far, i'd appreciate any help that I can get!

Basically, I'm using an old IBM R30, 1ghz, 30gb laptop with 260mb ram, running on XP (will be updating to 512mb + 256mb when I can) and I'm having a problem with it. It runs fine, if a little slow (but i'll put that down to its age and the small amount of memory) but whenever I try to watch a dvd (I installed a Hitachi GD-S250 a few months back) the machine just turns itself off after a while.

I've checked the power setup and altered it so it doesn't automatically shut down after a few minutes etcetera, or hibernate, but the problem still remains. I've also checked for the latest drivers for the dvd player and i'm using the current ones, so i don't think that's a problem.

Has anyone got any advice as to why it keeps shutting down?

On another note, I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile upgrading the memory. I start university in a few weeks, and although I've got enough money to buy a nice shiny laptop, i've read up on upgrading mine slightly and it appears that it might be sufficient. All i'll be using it at university will be for
- typing (microsoft word)
- listening to music (i tunes) (i'll buy an external hard drive to avoid clogging up the one on the laptop)
- browsing the internet.

If i was to upgrade the memory to two 144pin SODIMMS 512mb, would that alter the performance of the laptop considerably? Or would it simply be too much for a laptop that, admittedly, has seen better days.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks again.

Stephen x

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have an R30 and have had issues with the spontaneous shut-down. I've found that the most common cause is that the notebook has overheated. The fan had slowly gotten clogged with dust and hair over the years and was less effective. Recently the fan started making awful noises and the system overheated regularly. I decided to take it apart and fix it. This is not an undertaking to be taken lightly, but if you want to give it a shot, here's what I did:

1) Remove the battery
2) remove the hard drive assembly (one screw near the headphone jack, then pull); I also took out the DVD drive, but I don't think it's necessary
3) remove all the screws from the bottom of the system (except the memory and expansion card covers) - remove the two in the middle last (marked with two triangles); these disconnect the keyboard.
4) flip the machine and remove the keyboard (it should come up easily and the ribbon cable can be unplugged at one end)
5) open the screen all the way and remove the mounting cover (2" long cover on the left side near the base of the screen... give it a squeeze)
6) remove a single screw from the plastic piece that runs along the back of the keyboard opening
7) gently pry up the the plastic piece from step 6. It will give, but it's flimsy, so don't break it.
8) remove the 4 screws holding the screen in place
9) remove the screw(s) holdiong the screen connector in place, and disconnect the screen. (at this point you can remove the entire screen assembly)
10) gently remove the top plastic cover by gently prying it up starting at the back and working forward. It should give fairly easily until the front edge, which sounds like it's breaking as it comes loose. If it doesn't come apart easily, make sure you got all the screws out on the bottom.
11) remove the thin plastic covering from the centre of the notebook
12) remove the screws that hold the fan assembly against the CPU (remeber the orientation as you take this piece out... it should be sort of springy)
13) the fan assembly shouls just come out now (after unplugging it of course).
14) two screws hold the fan on the fan assembly - remove these.

You can now try to clean the fan, but that didn't work for me... I had to take the next steps of removing the metal covering (destructive process here... had to carve out some plastic to get at the fan blades). I melted the plastic later when reassembling it.

Good luck.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.