Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running XP Home 2002 SP 1 (yikes!) After a recent encounter with malware or a virus (that appears to be cleaned up), I'm having trouble with account passwords.

I have approximately a half dozen accounts on my machine, including the adminstrator account. Originally, the only account with a password assigned to it was the one that I use every day (tagged as an "Owner" account). For the last couple of weeks, every account on the machine is requiring a password from the Welcome screen. My account still works (the password is still valid), but my wife and kids cannot access their accounts because they can't get beyond the password (they never created one, even though they're now being prompted for one)!

Even weirder, when I successfully log on, if I'm away from the desk long enough that I'm prompted with the Welcome screen and asked to log back in when I return, my original password won't work, and I can' get back in. I have to do a hard shut down and start up the machine again...then my password will work.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be or how I can fix it?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.