Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having a Virus problem(my card worked fine). So I reformated and Ran some Anti-virus stuff and got all the viruses off.
I installed the drivers for my ATI 9600xt and while playing planetside it stopped responding to my monitor(screen when black and said on the monitor box that it was going into sleep mode or something), other times it would give me pretty colors and I couldn't do anything and then sometimes it just gives me a message that says "VPU Recover has reset your grafics accelerator as it was no longing responding to grafic driver commands(or something like that)".
I first tried to reinstall the drivers, I used all different ones on the ATI site 5.4, 5.5 and so on. I also used the Omgea drivers, none worked. I had another 9600xt laying around so I put that one in and it did the same thing.
I then tried an Nvidia card a fx5200 and an FX5500(I think it was a 5500 not sure but it was a better Nvidia card than 5200), both worked fine but are of course POS cards.
I then put my 9600xt back in and went into my BIOS and change my thing from PIC to AGP. And did not get anymore options when I changed it.
Also have changed cases for more air flow and a bigger power supply. Also tryed opening up my case and putting a fan next to it.
I'm out of ideas.

System specs:
Mobo: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00064822#doc
CPU: AMD athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 2gigs PC3200
Video card:Radeon 9600xt

Another thing, is my RAM even doing anything or would i need a new mobo for me to see a difference?

Thanks a ton guys,
FPpunk

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Did you try reinstalling the motherboard drivers?
They are needed to make the AGP slot fully functional.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leroys1000 said:
Did you try reinstalling the motherboard drivers?
They are needed to make the AGP slot fully functional.
Yes I did indeed do that. Also why would only the Nvidia cards work because of that?

Oh I also updated my BIOS.

Thanks for the input though, great minds think alike, hopfully in this case there is one greater than ours =/

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Seeing as how your problems started after a reformat it's best to check that your drivers are all installed properly by running the DXDiag program:

Click "Start"
Click "Run"
Type in dxdiag
Click "OK"
Click "Save All Information"
Save the dxdiag.txt file
Include the dxdiag.txt file as an attachment to your next post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with a Radeon 9550 in a Asus A7v8x-x, and i resolved installing the newest drivers for via chipset and ati drivers ( control center).
Maybe the ati drivers with control center disable this feature of vpu recover, or correct this problem.
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It looks like your motherboard chipset drivers haven't been installed. Lots is missing but this is the important one:
--------------
System Devices
--------------
Name: NVIDIA nForce3 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D2&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A4\3&267A616A&1&58
Driver: n/a

Some video cards don't seem to care about missing AGP drivers and some do. You should install these drivers.

If that doesn't fix your problem then uninstall your ATI driver using the ATI Software Uninstall Utility in the Add or Remove Programs window (instructions here) and then reinstall them. Occasionally ATI cards aren't happy if you install the display drivers first followed by the AGP driver. So uninstalling and reinstalling will make sure that the AGP driver was installed before the display driver was installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.