Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes. I just got a new computer. The new computer uses Win ME and my old one uses Win 98. I want to take my old hard drive and make it a slave to the new hard drive. Here's the problem: I got everything hooked up with the hard drives, jumpers in the right spot, connected right, etc... But when I got to start the computer it won't boot, I get primary drive failure. So then I went into BIOS and tried the auto configuration and when I do this I get no drive detected? :confused: The I have to go back and unhook the old drive and take out the jumper for the computer to work? Can someone please help me? Thanks for the time.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
If you leave the old drive out does it work?

You should check the jumpers on both drives as the new one may have to be set to master with a slave drive.
Also how are these drives hooked up? Are they master and slave on the same ide port?

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK here's what I know. The jumpers are set right. Got info off of drives and went to websites to make sure. Both are hooked up to the same IDE cable. The new drive to the master and the old drive to the slave. So I got something hooked up wrong I guess.
Yes it will boot up with just the new drive hooked up but only after I cut the power.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
I hope you are plugging and unplugging these drives with the power cord disconnected.

Try setting the old drives jumper as master and hook it up in place of the new drive and see if it recognizes it.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again SPEEDO. The computer will recognize the old drive as a master. I tried that. Just now I got the computer to boot into Win ME with the new drive hooked up as the master and the old drive as the slave. But in BIOS there is no drive in the primarty slave slot. What's up with that? FYI, my DVD and burner are in the secondary IDE ports and I'd like to keep it that way. Please help.

later Gun

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea my BIOS is set for auto detection. Here's what's happening now. When ever I try and boot up I'm still getting the primary drive failure. But I found out that if I remove the jumper on the new drive, the master then it boots right up. But I can't seem to get the computer to recognize the slave drive. What am I doing wrong? :confused: :mad: Do I have to do anything to teh old drive before trying the install it on the new computer as the slave like uninstalling stuff on there??? Thanks again SPEEDO. If you can think of anything let me know.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
The bios should recognize the drives no matter what is on them.

Can you post what brand and model number the drives are?

Then we can research the jumper settings.

Also what brand and model is your motherboard?

Is it an ATA100 capable board and drives, If so are you using the 80 wire ide cable? These ide cables have to be connected the right way.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The new drive is a WD and the jumper settings are on the drive, so I know that is is right. The older one is a Maxtor 91303D6. Here are the jumper settings off the Maxtor site:

I'm not sure about the motherboard but I'm using the same IDE cable that is connected to the new hard drive just gray one and the first IDE cable the black one in the new drive. I'm pretty sure that they are connected right. Like I said before if I hook up the old drive as the only drive then I can run the computer. I just can't seem to get the computer to see a slave drive????
Thanks again SPEEDO.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
The next thing to try is another ide cable.

It would be nice to know what kind of motherboard you have.

Let's do this.

When you boot up, The first screen you see hit pause on the keyboard.

There will be a string of numbers on the bottom left of the screen.

Something like XXXX-XXXX-2A59L

Or 51-0105-XXXX-XXXX

Write these down exactly as you see them and post it here.

I'll be back..:D

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey SPEEDO here are the numbers

8363-686A-6AA6LMM496-00

I've been trying some stuff. I changed to IDE-1 from IDE-0 but nothing. The only time the computer will not boot up is when I have the jumper in the new drive set to master. If I take out the even thought the other old drive is still hook up and the jumpers set to slave it will boot. Also when it doesn't boot and I get primary drive failure it asked for the system disk, which I don't have. Will the disk help, because I can get it. Thanks again for all the help SPEEDO. Also I try another IDE cable and see but I don't think that's the problem because even if I leave one of the drives hook up at the second(gray) IDE port it still boots and runs as though only one drive is hooked up.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
What is the model number of the Western Digital drive?

Something is weird here and I keep thinking jumpers.

Does the bios ever recognize both of these drives at the same time?

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WD drive model number WD300AB-00BVAO I went to the WD website here are the jumper and alternate jumper settings

alternate jumper settings

And no the bios has never recognized both drives at the same time. I'm pretty sure the jumper is right but I'll have to go set another jumper and try the alternate setting. Hopefully that's it.
Thanks again SPEEDO

later Gun

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got another jumper and tried the alternate setting and nothing the same thing. I thne shut down and took out the master jumper and left in the cable select jumper and it booted up but didn't see the slave drive. When I get the primary master hard drive failure it shows

Primary master Drive: WD ---------
Primary slave Drive:
Secondary master Drive: CD writer-----
Secondary slave Drive: DVD------

So it's not seeing a slave dirve? I'm losing hope here and don't know what to try next, help???

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
Have you tried setting them both to cable select? They both need to be on cable select to work right when using that method.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I did try that last night. I'm going to chech and make aure both drives are ATA100 or something like that, because I talked to a guy at work who knows abotu computers if that doesn't work he said he'll take a look at it. Thanks again SPEEDO. I got this feeling its something I overlooked.

Gun

S

·
0 Posts
I don't think that will make a difference but hey I could be wrong.

The Western Digital is up to 100 mbs. ATA100 UDMA5

The Maxtor is up to 33 mps. UDMA4

SPEEDO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know, I give up. I guess I'll take it to someone to see if they can get it to work. Thanks for the help SPEEDO.

later Gun

S

·
0 Posts
I think that I will reread this and see if I can pick up anything.
I myself may have missed something, Anyway let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.