Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Acer TravelMate 3260-4484, which is my first problem. I'm running Windows XP. I wanted to upgrade the RAM and the Acer website says it is upgradeable to two 2GB soDIMM modules. Visited crucial.com, found my "guarranteed compatible" 4 GB RAM kit, ordered it, installed it, and had nothing but a blank screen after attempting to start the computer. I removed both modules and installed the 512 MB RAM module that came with the laptop and the computer worked properly. I removed the 512 and installed just one of the 2 GB soDIMM modules and the computer worked but my internet kept freezing and shutting down after running for a bit, even after adjusting the virtual memory when the 2 GB module was installed. I have already called Acer technical support. They informed me that "yes" my laptop is upgradeable to the 4 GB as described but they weren't allowed to tell me how to do it! I've also sent two e-mails to acer technical support online and they have not replied. Can anybody help me with this? Is this a bios problem or something? I looked for bios updates on the acer site but wasn't sure which one to download or how to update it. If for some reason I can't use the two 2GB modules I've bought, which seems crazy since crucial.com and acer say I should be able to, I would like some other RAM recommendations. Ultimately, I want to install the most RAM that my computer will support because I'm trying to use it as a DAW. p.s. - won't be purchasing anymore acer products

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I have sent an e-mail to crucial support, they just haven't got back to me yet. I've turned off some of my services and startup under msconfig, trying to use this laptop as a DAW, could this keep the system from recognizing the upgrade?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Engaged in a live chat with Crucial.com support. They recommended going to the acer website and updating the BIOS. The only problem with this is there doesn't appear to be any BIOS updates for WinXP for my model, only Win Vista. I have already switched modules, slots, and tried using just one module at a time in different slots and have determined the problem is not with the modules or the RAM slots in my laptop. Using one module at a time in either slot works. I have one of the Crucial ram modules in right now and it appears to work fine, but I want to use the max 4GB, especially since I have already purchased the kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, after installing both modules again, I looked in the BIOS to see if the memory was being recognized. It showed the ram to be installed. When I exit out of the BIOS and try to start Windows, I get the black screen (only when both modules are installed).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Newer laptops hardly need a bios upgrade and i doubt your problem lies in the bios. Chances are it is faulty RAM or a different chipset than what this acer supports. Try one module at a time and see what happens to see if you can narrow it down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.