Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell dimesion XPS B____r computer with windows 98se thats 5+ yrs old. lately when I try to turn my computer on sometimes nothing happens at all but most times it does start up but usually shuts down within 10 to 15 seconds and restarts by itself. It can make it to the desktop or I can be online for a 1/2 hour or so and it just shuts down?
I called dell tech and they had me remove the memory and all of my cards (sound,video etc) and put them back in. That worked a couple of times, it happened like a 5th time and they had me do the same with the memory and the cards and also pull out 2 white adapters from the mother board. One had 20 pin the other had a different shape and was half the size but that did work when I plugged them back in, and it always beeps 3 times after putting back all the cards memory etc when starting up again.
Sometimes also the computer will turn on but do nothing and the moniter will say "No video input" and the green power light in the front is not on as well as the ABCD Lights in the back of the computer? The computer is plugged into a surge protector and if I forget to turn the surge protector off my computer will start up by itself?
I am just assuming that my computer is history and I did recently reinstall windows 98se about 1 month ago and always run adaware,spybot & norton anti virus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks..

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Its possibly your power supply on the outs. Do you have another you can try?
Also Run a [url="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top?]Windows Memory Diagnostic Test [/url]

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geekgirl
Thanks for the Windows memory Diagnostic setup but my A: drive is busted and I have a external floppy drive and that wont stop the system from booting like a floppy in the A: drive will, thanks for your help.

pat

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
will you check and see if the floppy drive is listed as a conflict in your device manager. make sure there arent any yellow symbols listed anywhere in there>
post back

·
1,438 Posts
Being that it is five years old, I must ask if you ever have replaced the motherboard cmos retention battery. It looks like a shiney coin and normally needs to be replaced every few years. It retains in memory such changeable bios settings as what hard drive you have, what processor, video card settigns etc which load before the operating system loads and tells the motherboard what to do .

If you have never done this, unplug and open the case. Look for the battery and write down its number (do not remove it yet) it will be something like 2074 or 2032. You can buy replacements at most grocery stores, but home depot sells them for about a dollar which is the lowest price you will find.
When you have the new one , pop out the old one , put in the new quickly. If you take to long it will forget the settigns and you will have to reconfigure things (do not panic it is fairly easy if you have to do this).

The other thing I would suspect with a PC this age is power supply failure. This is a major problem since most Dells use proprietary power supplies and mother boards. It is strongly recommended you DO NOT attempt to replace the power supply with one you buy at a store since the difference in wiring order can result in a short which will destroy both the new power supply and your motherboard (may even cause flames to erupt). If you suspect a power supply problem , you should order a new one from Dell.

Did your floppy problem begin after you messed with cables and wiring inside? IF so it is probable that you have the floppy power connector upside down or connected the floppy to the wrong connector on the cable. Normally you want to connect it to the end after the twist.
Normally there is a red stripe on the cable and you orient the power connector in the same (red on same side) although it is best to check the back for a diagram.

Often a shutdown after a warm up period indicates a loose component or short caused when things warm up. Double check that the motherboard is secure , not loose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for not getting back sooner but my computer was out of commission for the last several days.

whosdat
There was not any conflicts regarding my floppy drive in the device manager as well as no yellow symbols,thanks for your reply.

oshwyn5
I have never changed the "cmos retention battery" in the motherboard but I forgot to mention that my motherboard is about 6 months old. But I did not replace the motherboard so I dont know if the battery was ever replaced?
I believe I finally fixed the problem I have been having with my computer. I had 512 MB of memory and that was replaced the same time as the motherboard. I finally found my old 128 MB stick of memory and replaced the second slot of memory in my computer and the computer booted right up.Since I replaced the memory my computer has been running with no problems. I apologize for not being more accurate in my first post and thanksto everyone who helped me figure this problem out...Thanks again..

Pat..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.