Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/wave.gif
:wave:- I have a problem that is really annoying. when i turn my computer on - it comes up with letters or symbols dotted all over the screen. I have to reboot so many times before it comes up with the correct stuff in the top left corner of your screen then boots.

I am not to good at solving things so if anybody knows how to help in simpleton terms - please post as i'm at a loss.

I have done pc pitstop but it says my computer is fine.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/4-dontknow.gif
:4-dontkno
Thank you all.

Preludebabe

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is this before Windows has begun to load?

I've struck post corruption a few times and it is usually a failing videocard, but I've also seen it caused by a slightly optimistic CPU overclock. The only thing I can suggest without know if it's before Windows has begun to load or not is check if the videocard fan is spinning if it has one, and that there isn't too much dust in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its before anything loads. OK - will have a look. Im afraid i have no idea about overclocking (even though Ive seen it mentioned) and got lost when reading the information on it.

But ill get my hoover out and give it a quick whizz over and check the fan aswell.

I do play a lot of games but only 1 at a time. Anything i finish i delete from my computer.

Thanks for the help. Any chance you know anything about overclock im simpleton terms.

Ever thankful

Preludebabe

·
Registered
112 Posts
It sounds like it's probably the videocard failing in that case, could be the power supply or motherboard though.

How confident are you in replacing parts? Do you have a friend that could help and access to parts to try? Is the computer still under warranty?

If it's not a Dell, HP etc it's possible that some components are covered between 2 and 5 years. Name brand videocards and motherboards are often covered for 3 years, and some high end power suppliers are 3 years as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an Atherstone mother board - bought last year from a shop. And the videocard is second hand but worked fine in my other comp. BUT - i will admit, people have said power supply, the videocard has the cable attached to the powerbox, so maybe a new powerbox??

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could try, I don't want to suggest you go out and buy one though, because we can't be sure.

At least with nVidia cards, if the PSU isn't delivering enough power the driver drops the frequencies back to keep the card stable, rather than making it artifact and/or lock up. I don't know if that works every time, but if it's an nVidia card it's probably another thing pointing to the card itself, not the power supply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a NVDIA GEForce 7600 GS - i plugged in the extra power supply to give it extra power as it kept saying reducing performance as insufficient power. Once my computer has booted (after uo to 10-20 attempts)- works a treat ! Thats why im thinking its not the card, but as im not computer minded, i have no idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - have had someone say to do a sfc /scannow using my xp disc and found out I only have 200w and have been told using a calculator I need 400w. I am hoping - fingers crossed, this is the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.