Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on my computer and the game won't launch. I had no problem with the installation. I also installed The Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay and that game won't launch either. Can someone please help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I've printed out your steps which I will read and check them one by one. And yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times with no change. I'll get back to you once I've checked all the steps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done all your steps and the game still won't launch. This is the system I have which I built myself. Asus P5B Wifi Deluxe, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Corsair XMS 2GB Ram, BFG Geforce 7900 GT OC with 512MB, Creative Labs X-Fi Soundcard, Seagate Barracuda 750 GB. I checked the readme file for the game and the game only supports up to nVidia Geforce 7800. I have the Geforce 7900. That probably means I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
The fact that the 7900 isn't listed in the supported GPU's list just means that it wasn't around when the game was made. It will run the game fine. It's older cards which you have to worry about.

Can you describe exactly what the problem is? You say the games won't launch. Does that mean that you click the shortcut and nothing happens? Do you get any messages, or black screens, etc?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Yes, the game won't launch. I click on the shortcut or reinsert the game CD and the game launches. I see a first sign of Ghost Recon starting then the screen turns black which looks to me like it's adjusting the resolution. Then it just goes back to the desktop. The second game that I'm having problems with is "The Chronicles of Riddick. Escape From Butcher Bay". This game does leave error messages. It says, "This application requires graphics driver support for Open GL 1.3 or higher." The second error message is Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Runtime Error! Program.... Studios\RiddickEFBB\System\Win32_X86_SSE2\SbzEngine.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled both games at least 5 times. For the drivers on BFG's website I have to use version 93.71. But, BFG tech support told me over the phone that these were generic drivers for the 7 series video cards and to use version 84.56. Now the funny thing is they don't provide version 84.56. But, after I Googled it I did find them on a website. This version is a beta version and I did install them with no problem. I have tried both versions 93.71 and the beta 84.56 with no change. I'm currently using beta version 84.56. Thank you for your quick reply.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Here's one thing to check, which may or may not be the problem:

Go Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, tick the "Show Updates" box up the top, and then scroll down and see if you have Windows security update number 917422. If you do, click this link and follow the instructions.

As I said, it may not help, but give it a go and see. Also, read the "NVIDIA Drivers" thread in my signature - try using the 84.21's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I do have Windows Security update No. 917422. And I've just downloaded driver version 84.21 and will try it out. Thank you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've uninstalled the beta drivers 84.56 and installed your 84.21 and the game does the same thing. The game still won't launch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just installed your link and read Microsoft's Knowledgebase article on this issue. But, no luck. I tried the game again and the game launches with the selection of Run Ghost Recon, or Uninstall Ghost Recon, or read the Readme files. Then when I click on Run Ghost Recon I get a Ghost Recon startup screen then my monitor turns completely black and then it goes back to the desktop. No errors. This is what it does all the time.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
It seems that quite a few people have fixed this issue by un-installing and re-installing the drivers for their Creative X-Fi sound cards.
It might be worth a try, sound cards can mess with games pretty strangely sometimes and (just from what i've read from lots of people with problems), Creatives drivers leave quite a bit to be desired.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
I don't understand what you are trying to point out with the second one? The member had an error message and the problem was resolved by removing mods?
You don't have any mods installed do you?

About the sound card: If you are concerned about completely removing the drivers, then just try disabling the soundcard temporarily, while you play the game.
Right-Click on 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Click 'Device Manager' (on the left).
Under the 'Sound, video and game controllers' you should see your Sound card listed. Simply Right-Click and disalbe it (you'll need to restart).
If the game loads up fine you know it was the sound card, if it still doesn't work, repeat the process and re-enable the sound card.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're right about the second one. But, it was somewhat related to what is happening with my game. I get a UBI splash screen then it turns black and then it goes back to the desk top. I'll try disabling the sound card drivers and let you know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.