Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Optiplex (GX 280) BIOS version A03 (9/17/04) with XP purchased just a little over 2 years ago. The hard drive installed in the computer went bad. I have a Western Digital 250GB HD (model 250011032-001) that was purchased from Dell a few months ago for another computer. I have removed the defective HD from the computer, disabled it in the BIOS and connected the EHD to the USB port. It has been set up as the C drive in BIOS.

To install XP I boot to the Windows XP CD that came with the computer and get the blue setup screen. The setup program asks me where I want to install the program. The only choice available is the EHD. When I select the EHD (c:\) I receive the following message.

"Your computer's start up program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your manufacturer for more information."

I contacted Dell and they said "DUHhhhhhhhhhh" and pointed me toward this forum.

Does anybody know anything about this "special software" and where I might be able to obtain it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.