Crucial PC4200 2x512Mb
Pentium 4 560 3.6Ghz
Seagate 200GB IDE HDD
x800xl PCI-E Graphics card

The hard drive is fresh. After several attempts, I took the hard drive
to another machine with XP Pro already installed and deleted the
partition and recreated it.
The machine will take a Windows ME install perfectly, but whenever I
attempt an XP install (booting directly from CD), it launches all necessary drivers and files, but never gets past
"Setup is starting Windows".

anyone any ideas what the problem may be????

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
hello and welcome to TSF.

have you tried formatting in NTFS the full format? not the quick format.

also try checkign jumper settings

and also check the BIOS settings to make sure the BIOS sees the HDD installed on the system.

good luck and get back to us if you need mroe help.

[side note: Tumbleweed and i posted at the same time lol :grin: it happens...]

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
paul9619 said:
I have a friend who has upgraded to the following system:

ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
Crucial PC4200 2x512Mb
Pentium 4 560 3.6Ghz
Seagate 200GB IDE HDD
x800xl PCI-E Graphics card

The hard drive is fresh. After several attempts, I took the hard drive
to another machine with XP Pro already installed and deleted the
partition and recreated it.
The machine will take a Windows ME install perfectly, but whenever I
attempt an XP install (booting directly from CD), it launches all necessary drivers and files, but never gets past
"Setup is starting Windows".

anyone any ideas what the problem may be????
Hi,

A few things you need to check:

First of all, make sure you have the RAID controller turned off in the BIOS setup menu.

Second, make sure you have the boot order in the BIOS setup menu set to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive you wish to boot from

**Don't forget to save if you changed any BIOS setup menu settings.

Third, make sure you are using an 80 connector ribbon cable and not an older 40 connector ribbon cable.

Fourth, make sure you have the jumpers on the hard drive set to master (they come from the factory as Cable Select) and the other drive on the ribbon cable set to slave.

Fifth, make sure that the master drive is on the end of the ribbon cable and the slave is in the middle connector.

Should look like this as an example:

IDE #1.........................middle connector................end connector
Drive............................CDRom.............................Hard Drive
Jumpers........................Slave................................Master

Sixth, it is always best to prepare your drive for usage by using the computer you are going to use it in.....start it up after checking these things and partition and format it from this computer when you begin to load the OS.

Seventh, make sure you have an authorized self booting full version of your Operating System disk. Restore disks are different so you would need a slightly different process.

Last, make sure you put the Operating System disk in the CDRom and boot and it should load.

I may have missed a few things, but this is where you start.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I had something similar recently and it turned out to be a problem with the optical drive reading the disc. I swapped the optical drive for the OS load then re-installed the original drive.

It was with WinXP Pro, the Retail disk just wasn't working correctly, go about half way through the install, however, I had an OEM disk that loaded perfectly. Problem was the COA number for retail will not work on an OEM disk!

JamesO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar Issue

I'm having the same trouble with my pc. I recently upgraded some of my parts and when I put them together everything seems to be okay, but then when I go to install windows the system reboots.

Specs:
3000+ AMD 64 Athlon
Kingston 400MHz 1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM (1 stick)
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-K8NXP-SLI
BFG 7800 GT OC pci-e
2 x 200GB Maxtor IDE HDD
500w Ebuyer Value PSU

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to be working. I've swapped the ram, I've swapped the hdds, I've taken out all the additional features of the motherboard (ie, wifi card). I can't try a new gfx card because I don't have another pci-e card available to me. I'm a little concerned that perhaps I shouldn't have been so stingy on the PSU and that's the problem. But 500w should be more than enough. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.Right now all I have is a £600 paper weight which can only run a bios screen.

I also have another question, if the ram or psu were incompatible with the motherboard, would it be immediately apparent? Would I be able to access the bios like I am now?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi sammigszander,

Seems like you also have a problem.

However, to get assistance you need to start your own thread or ask a moderator to move your post. For example, you can copy what you have writting down and the post one of your own and then you will get individual help. Oh, also send me a PM when you get it posted and I will take a look at your situation as will others. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.