Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I was tipsed by a friend to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my entire disks and I was thinking hey good idea. Said and done I installed and rebooted and on windows loading screen ofcourse it gets stuck.

I went to recovery console tried fixboot fixmbr chkdsk /p etc nothing helped so now I'm on a fresh install of XP

all is fine until i install video drivers the driver install goes to a black screen with a blinking "_" in it.. So I'm dling vista now see if I can do it on vista. Sometimes I've finished up the driver installation (but it didnt seem proper) then i reboot and it freezes in windows loading.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this issue?

Going to try vista soon.. This really has brought my spirits down big time.

I'm using an Asus 9800GX2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys!

I was tipsed by a friend to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my entire disks and I was thinking hey good idea. Said and done I installed and rebooted and on windows loading screen ofcourse it gets stuck.

I went to recovery console tried fixboot fixmbr chkdsk /p etc nothing helped so now I'm on a fresh install of XP

all is fine until i install video drivers the driver install goes to a black screen with a blinking "_" in it.. So I'm dling vista now see if I can do it on vista. Sometimes I've finished up the driver installation (but it didnt seem proper) then i reboot and it freezes in windows loading.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this issue?

Going to try vista soon.. This really has brought my spirits down big time.

I'm using an Asus 9800GX2

Whoever solves this issue will be awarded $10 as gratitude !

ps. I have tried google for hours

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! And thanks for the reply heres the information:

Asus P5K Premium Wifi/AP
Intel Core Duo E8400
Asus Extreme 9800GX2
Soundblaster X-Fi Music
Corsair 1000W dont know modellnr

At the moment I'm on vista 64-bits and it didn't work here either!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found my receipt so here is my modelnr on the psu aswell

CMPSU-1000HXEU Corsair HX series 1000W

Hope you skilled guys can give me some ideas to try out, I've tried several driver version and different OS. Also Fail safe mode. :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
in the device manager uninstall the video card
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
check you have the aux power plug into the m/board and the card ok

try these

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_195.62_whql.html

and install this software

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05.html

to install the driver part

in the device manager uninstall the video card
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer

when and if the driver install ok then install the software

if still no good see if you can try the card on another computer

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've tried those drivers, the vista 64 version of them anyway. But I'll give it another go (im on vista now, so i will take the vista ones) but I have low hope for that method. Btw theres no option for VGA mode but i used msconfig and have chosen safeboot and Base video under boot section (should be same thing).

On a sidenot I have a problem installing my soundblaster card aswell... drivers install fine but the card isn't working even after reboot.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello demode,

Go here and download Smart Doctor under utilities (1st one):
ASUS Smart Doctor version 5.49

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Go here for graphics driver vista 64bit:
Same place as above.

1. turn off computer and double check the graphics card that it is installed correctly and tightly and remove ram memory all but for 1 stick of ram.

2. turn on computer and run Smart Doctor to see if any problems exist with the card before installing the driver for it.

3. if you need help in determining the figures if they are correct or safe running just post back with them.

4. If everything is good up to this point then install the graphics driver from ASUS.

Note: it could also be a bad ram stick of memory?

Let us know how it goes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tip, i'll look into that tomorrow. I will get another cdplayer tomorrow aswell someone told me it could be that too. I'm ready to try anything. Also will format mbr and both harddrives fully.

I'll return when I know more. :wave:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Smartdoc cannot load EIO.dll it tells me ( a dll file in the installation folder )

:-(

Anyways gonna go do a reformat now and blow both disks completely see how it unfolds. I'll try smartdoc and the drivers again when I'm done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay solved it! (tricky)

Thanks for all the support you've given me anyways. Here's what I did in case someone else gets the problem.

Formatted all drives which had OS traces on them (propably optional)

Installed winxp sp3

Installed chipset drivers from CD that came along with the MB

Installed nvidia driver from ASUS (got a blackscreen with blinking _ in it again)

Reset computer, got back into windows pulled device manager up and uninstalled the video driver.

Selected the VGA device instead, and told it to update drivers where it found the 9800gx2 drivers on the computer and installed them (got blackscreen with blinking _ for 2 secs) and voilá! didn't even have to reboot.

I was so happy I jumped in the air propably 2 meters high and made a victoryscream 0:30 AM =)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.