Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to install XP, it always blue screens about 10% into the install. I have tried 2000, but I get a ftdisk.sys is corrupt. I tried 98 and it installs fine, but I get a windows protection error on reboot. I have tried three different HD's, and no luck. I am running a P4 2.6 GHz 800 FSB, with 1.0 G corsair PC3500 DDR. I have tried to update the bios to 1007, but it freezes my bios, so I had to go back to 1006. Please help......

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Sometimes what helps is to take all non important cards out of the system (sound/modem/nic/etc..) and only leave the basics and see if it will install. If it does install then add one card at a time until you have a problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Try writing zero's to the hard drive using the hard drive mfgs. utility software then installing the OS.

What brand hard drive do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What memory settings are you using? I had problems when I used too aggressive timings, leading to problems just like the ones you are having.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same problem, it was impossible to install Winxp or Win2k nicely, always a blue screen or files reading problems
and the only time I had installed Win2k, impossible to install
Service Packs or new Internet Explorer... I removed one of
my memory module and no more problem

So, pls try to remove one by one your memories and test...

Bye

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.