Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, :smile:

So, I've decided not to renew my current subscriptions to Trend Micro anti-virus and Spy Sweeper anti-spyware. I uninstalled the Trend Micro and shut down Spy Sweeper.

Started testing out alternatives, and not a single one installed successfully. Each and every install attempt ended up with an error message stating that the source file was corrupt. Here's a list of what I've tried so far:

AVG Anti-virus
Avast Home Edition
PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition 3.6
Spybot
Spyware Terminator
Malware Destroyer

I'm pretty sure that not all of these have a corrupt source file, especially since I downloaded them all from a reputible site.

Any ideas if Trend Micro or Spy Sweeper have a Registry Key that could be mucking this up? Or any other registry tweaks to think of? The only up to date anti-malware software that I have left on my pc is Lavasoft Ad-Aware. I've run that a few times and have removed some cookies...but nothing major shows up.

I am open to any suggestions!!! :smile:

Thanks so much. Let me know if anyone needs add'l info. :smile:

·
Registered
453 Posts
run ccleaner. this may repair a registry problem.
i'm sort of in the same boat as you, as far as spy sweeper is concerned. what happened to them in the last 7 or 8 months? i think when they teamed up with sophos their tactics have "downgraded".
i wouldn't think that about trendmicro, they are very reputable.
i would run the gammit of clearing the cache, defrag, scan (preferrably in safe mode, but online scans are good too), run checkdisk, sfc, check your services, startup list, task manager, event viewer, all the things that you do that is just regular maintenance.
it's too bad you didn't already load those programmes. don't forget superantispyware. i've never had a fp with them. always installs ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These are the instructions from Trend for Uninstalling PC-cillin Internet Security.
I have not had a chance to test them yet, but might work for you.

1. Click on the link below to download the Uninstall Tool. Save the file (UninstallTool.exe) on your DESKTOP.
ftp://conftpuser:[email protected]/Consumer/Tools/UninstallTool/UninstallTool.exe

2. Double-click on the downloaded ‘UninstallTool.exe’ file.
3. Click on BROWSE, select the Desktop, and click on OK.
4. Click on UNZIP.
5. Wait for the extraction process to finish. Click on OK on the notification then click on CLOSE.
6. In your Desktop, double-click on the UninstallTool folder.
7. Double-click on PCCTool.exe.
8. Click on the UNINSTALL tab
9. Select the previously installed program from the pull-down menu at the bottom. If there is no pull-down menu present, skip this step.
10. Click on ‘4. Uninstall’ to begin the uninstallation process.
11. Restart your computer then delete the Trend Micro folder.
- Double Left Click on My Computer Icon.
- Double Left Click on Local Disk C.
- Double Left Click on Program Files.
- Delete Trend Micro Folder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.