Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an old computer from a friend and I trying to tinker around with to gain some know how but im hitting problems at the start. I have never used Windows 95 so I dont know what its like and I really dont know DOS so I think im in trouble.
It hits problems starting up saying Non-system disk, replace and strike a key. But there is no disk in any drive. The boot sequence is set to C, A if that matters. But I downloaded a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com, (because I dont have the original installation disks) and after a second it says "loading Windows 95" then it oads a CD ROM driver and then it gives me an A:\> prompt. Is this Windows 95? Is it all DOS? :confused:

Anyhow when I try to run Fdisk it says "No fixed disks present" and returns me to an A:\> prompt. I tried formating from there but it says " Invalid drive selection". I really dont know what to do now.

:no: Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this. I am trying to learn. If someone could help me get this formatted, I would greatly appreaciate it. Even a link to a walkthrough or something. :no:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Forget about those problems up there. I messed around with some things and I got somewhere now. I got into Fdisk and removed the other partitions and just created a main partition. I formated it and now Im trying to reinstall an OS. I tried 2000 but I guess I cant do that so im using Me, cause its the only other OS I have here. I started to run Setup.exe and it said about scanning the system. I said yes and it started scanning but then it displayed a message that said, "Windows setup requires 15728640 bytes available on you C: drive." Does this mean there isnt enough space to even install the OS? O I think it does :no:

G

·
During the format it should have listed the drive size right above where it counts up.

Did you fdisk and format wih an ME startup disk?

Run fdisk off of the floppy again and select option 4 this will tell you the size of the hard drive and if 100% of it is being used....:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O I didnt notice the size the first time through...Its only a 10 meg drive !!!

Should I have used a ME startup disk to Fdisk and format? I used a Win 95 disk.

I guess its a good thing this was given to me. Componets are so small and old I dont know if anything is gonna work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SPEEDO said:
What does the bios list the drive as?
Im not sure what you mean. Primary Master :confused:

Everytime I start up the computer it does the memory check and then displays:
CMOS checksum failure
CMOS display type mismatch

RUN SETUP UTILITY
Press F1 to RESUME

Any idea what that means?

Im trying to install Win 98 now, mabey it will be a little smaller. I dont have the money to get another HD right now...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im guessing it is a custom built. I dont see any brand name parts except the IBM Blue Lightning CPU, and the Sony CD drive someone put in. I think this thing is old because the tower is pretty huge, and its got a tape backup drive in it. I know some stuff about componets but its hard when I dont have a clue with these old ones. And might I add that I really dislike DOS. :|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.