Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is having trouble with her computer, and it's beyond my expertise to find a solution.

She was playing Skyrim when Windows decided to interrupt and restart to install a Critical update. After booting, random processes, Windows included would stop responding for nearly 3 minutes at a time. Restarting didn't help, and these freezes were occurring every 2 minutes.

She tried a rollback to a previous update but it didn't help, and only BSOD'ed when she got to the desktop. She undid the rollback, and is back to the intermittent freezing. She restarted in safe mode and had some colored lines appear on her monitor. I thought that it was a driver problem so I had her roll-back her video drivers, which stopped the lines only for a bit.

She describes these lines as colorful static. And she's repeatedly tried to restore but the process has gradually taken longer to do.

·
Premium Member
41,507 Posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Go to the computer manufactures support/download drivers. type in the make and model # or Service Tag #, choose your OS and download the latest video driver for that model.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a custom built computer. By the time I went to recommend any more support, she decided to upgrade to Windows 10. This has fixed her problems so far.

·
Premium Member
41,507 Posts
Were glad you got it sorted. In the Future, if there are any driver issues on a custom machine, go to the Motherboard manufactures Or Video Card manufactures support/download drivers site. Type in the Model# of the motherboard or Video card and download any drivers you need from the Device Manager. If there are no drivers for your OS, many times doing Windows Update will load the most recent drivers.
Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.