Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried getting my brother in law a Chaintech board, that used DDR memory, board acted up, would not run more than absolute basic.
Only installed 1 256 DDR chip with aluminum heat disapater.
Found out later that the board requires 1.1 GHz Celeron or less.
The one I put in was 1.2.. go figure, all stats prior said and claimed it would handle the 1.2, including the manual, manufacturer said nope, won't handle it..
Ok, stuck my 800 MHz Celeron in, and kept locking up. only 1 chip 256 DDR Ram, so no conflict, but as you said on a different post I need to run memory check on it.

However, bought him a different board.
Biostar M6VLR running supposedly with 512 Megs SDram, 2 x 256 Megs, and the 1.2 GHz Celeron from the other board.
Only took it 15 installs before Windows got fully installed, kept locking up 3/4 through with about 11 minutes remaining. and remaining for 1 1/2 hours.. turn off reinstall.
fianlly for awhile it would boot up into windows safe mode, then finally fully into windows, but when you try to install anything else it locks up again.

Fans, have 1 fan inside of power supply, and 1 fan above the aluminum heat sink above the CPU, fan was included with CPU when purchased.
Cabinet is being run at present with sides wide open not inclosed.

Runs dos programs, scandisk etc. fine, no problems. just not programs within windows.

Suggestions...?:bandit:

·
Registered
376 Posts
What is the exact motherboard you're using?
Since it worked with two memory modules, but not one, perhaps the single memory module was in the wrong socket. I always install memory modules in pairs, so I never run into this type of problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hardware
Biostar M6VLR running supposedly with
512 Megs SDram, 2 x 256 Megs, and the
1.2 GHz Celeron from the other board.
Maxtor 40 gig
Samsung 40 gig not connected
HP CD-RW
Software
Installed Windows ME

Only took it 15 installs before Windows got fully installed,
kept locking up 3/4 through with about 11 minutes remaining, and for remaining for 1 1/2 hours.. turn off then reinstall.
finally for awhile it would boot up into windows safe mode, then finally fully into windows, but when you try to install anything else it locks up again.

Fans, have
1 fan inside of power supply, and
1 fan above the aluminum heat sink above the CPU,
this fan was included with CPU when purchased.

Cabinet is being run at present with sides wide open not inclosed.

Going to remove 1 bank of memory, bank #2, then set computer up to run again, this time going to run a program to verify memory chips. change memory and run it again.

MemTest-86 v3.0 which is a DOS program that verifies byte for byte if a ram chip is good or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what power supply do you have ??? WATTs
I ask this because a lot of people keep on upgrading to higher speed processors without checking if the power supply has enough power.
The same for high end graphics cards that need more power.

It occurs to me that this problem shows up in a lot of treads on this forum.

Of all the PC's I ever owned (+20) I never had a PS blow-up because I always checked before installing upgrades.

gr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I started out using a 235 Watt power, but then this morning tried a 400 Watt, no change, no boot.
going to try taking everything out, and carefully check my cables, and setups of each HDD, etc. etc.
Already have the power supply disconnected from case, but connected and hanging to the side out of the way.

Persmits faster access inside after disconnecting power to check different connections. lot easier to make ongoing changes without accidentally disconnecting cables already plugged in. and yes it is disconnected from the wall while making changes....

Successful in being able to boot, go into BIOS, disconnected and reconnected booted, piece by piece.
In the last time around more or less, started afew times again to install Windows ME.
14% and lock up.
running mem chk 3.0 now, does not read errors.
configuration current.
celeron 1.2GHz reads it as 430.4 MHz
512 MB SDRam PC133 2x256 reads them out as 1/2 half what is rated.
5 gig, forget brand, but new.
IBM 41.4 Gig contains data do NOT want to lose.
Compaq 40x CD R
HP CD RW

reads all of these without a problem, this part is configured..
Appears to be a problem now that it is not reading the CPU correctly, nor is it reading the memory correctly.
both are as another poster said, divided in half.

Now then what I plan to do, is after this memory check program completes, I plan on upgrading the bios for this board.
At least that can be done now that it is booting.
might correct the faulty readings...
Any idea how to program the cpu multiplier...?
it is set at 66, increments to 99
when I tried changing this in the past, lost complete configuration did not like anyhing after it.
The Speed multiplier is in Dec, as I said starts at 66 and goes to 99, will run at varying speeds from 430.4 set at 66 Dec up to 586 (app) set at 90, I set it for the full 99 and won't boot.

I am upgrading the bios now. slow.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.