Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the story

I purchased basically a whole new system. Everything except the tower, hard drive, and dvd player.

My set up that I purchased includes:
-MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
-CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

When I first received my items, I got it all put together. All was well, put in my boot and nuke disc to wipe my hd. long story short, the disc didn't work (I've just had issues with it in set ups that don't have a floppy drive) but the computer itself ran fine. So i put in my xp disc to wipe and reinstall instead. When I turned on the system that time, I started to get no signal to the monitor. No post either.

So I switched both monitors and cords, didn't work either. So I started going through the process of finding out which piece of hardware was causing the issue. I ended up unhooking everything except the mb, processor and power supply. Still no post or signal.

Ended up replacing the MB, processor and memory.

Just received those a few hours ago and got my system all hooked back up. Same problem! No post or anything!

Please, please, PLEASE tell me I doing something stupid that can easily be fixed! I'm trying to have to avoid taking it to a shop to have them try and fix it. I just don't have the cash atm.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would also suspect the Raidmax PSU. A bench test is always a good idea before assembling in the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've basically decided I'm returning everything basically and start from scratch. Only thing I can't return is the processor, and I'm replacing it on GP. I have a diff mobo and video card I was eyeballing anyway.

I'll post my specs later after I have made decisions.

I would appreciate some suggestions though. My budget will be $400 to no more than $550 for a mobo, video card, mem and psu. I'm going budget gaming.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
For a mobo go with Gigabyte or Asus. They are both tier 1 and will not disappoint you.

For memory i would go with a 2x2gb set of corsair, mushkin or gskill.

For a PSU, i would go with a 650w corsair, or xfx. You wont be spending less then $80 on a high quality psu.

I don't have a huge opinion on nVidia GPUS, i prefer HIS and Sapphire generally.

If you havent seen this thread already: http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...evised-2011-and-updated-regularly-448272.html

the $500 AMD build will work well with your cpu. you might have enough left over to upgrade to a better gpu.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
you could save a few bucks going with this mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

The one above gives you sata 6gb/s as well as usb 3.0 which the asus does not.

Either would be fine.

Good choice on power supply.

The reason we don't recommend 2x4gb sets of ram is because they often are faulty.

Generally 4gbs of ram is more then enough.

Just a fun fact, no game out today can utilize more then 3gbs of ram.

I believe the most RAM hungry game out is BF2, and it can easily be ran on 2gbs.

only time you would utilize more then 4gbs of ram is cad or video editing.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Go with the 2X2GB of RAM. It is more than plenty and you avoid any possible issues with 4GB sticks. By the time you need more RAM you will need a new PC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.