Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey.. First off, i'm not sure where i would post this but i found this thread to be the most suitable as i built my computer myself.
Im facing a problem where my computer (With one screen plugged in) freezes after X amount of hours. It freezes completley and i can not do anything, not even move my mouse. Waited for an hour once to see if it unfroze but it didn't.
When i use my dual monitor setup (both my screens plugged in) it freezes right after the windows log-in.
Im starting to think it could be my graphic card but i dont know.
(Using a xfx 9800gtx+ as for now.. Thinking about changing it to one, or two new ones. But im being unsure which of todays graphic cards are better than this for gaming.)
Thank you beforehand! //MrYoshida

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

Two GPU's yields a small performance increse for a large cost increase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(PC specs found in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool)
Operating System: Windows Vista(TM) Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7519
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz 3.61GHz
Memory: 4084MB RAM
Page file: 2725MB used, 5672MB avalible
DirectX Version: DirectX 10..
(I apologize if the certain specs you were looking for is not in this post, if they're not, feel free to tell me where to find them for you :))

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is this a prebuilt PC? If so, what is the Model Number?
Is the E8400 OC'd to 3.61GHz?
Remove the side panel and look at the label on the power supply. What is the Brand name and Model Number?
Use CPU-Z to determine the Brand of RAM. Click on the "SPD" Tab. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a custom built PC.
No, after trying to overclock it week 8 the cpu temp went up to 110 degrees C.
Its a Corsair TX750W Power supply.
The brand of ram is Micron Technology, 2x 2048MB DDR2 RAM.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Check your temps and Voltages in the Bios. I doubt the CPU actually got to 110 C.
Intel CPU's will "throttle" themselves back around 60 C and 72 C becomes critical for a Core2 Duo Wolfdale. A CPU that reached 110C could be damaged. damaged.
Overheating will cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My CPU tem is 56*C/132*F
System temp is 28*C
CPU Vcore (not sure if this is voltages or not, nor how i find voltages.. Anywho!) is at 1.152
3.3V is 3.376
5V - 5.129
12V - 12.320

Found Voltage in Cell Menu and the CU, DRAM, MCH, VTT FSB, ICH Voltages are all on [Auto].

So you reckon if i get a new processor (Either the same kind or a new one) it could fix the problem, eh?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The CPU temp is too high. Be certain ALL 4 legs of the CPU cooler are securely locked into the Mobo. Did you use the thermal pad included with the CPU cooler or did you use an aftermarket thermal paste?
Are you certain the CPU is not OC'd. DirectX Diagnostic Tool shows it at 3.61.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well no, i haven't OC'd it but i dont know.
I've had to change thermal paste and CPU cooler once due to the previous thermal paste frying or something along those lines.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would suggest removing he CPU heatsink & CPU. Look for any burned spots where the CPU makes contact with the Mobo. If all looks well, reinstall the CPU, thoroughly clean the heatsink & CPU with 90% alcohol and apply new thermal paste. Check the 4 legs of the heatsink retainer for damage also. One leg not being securely fasted will cause overheating.
Here's a nice installation guide.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1215&cid=19&pg=6

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After attempting to switch cooling paste my computer crashed about an hour after start up with one screen in. Could i have failed applying the paste? or is there something else that might be terribly wrong?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okey, the problem is not resolved yet. Even after changing thermal paste on my old cpu, changing fan and heatsink, buying a new cpu, applying new thermal paste to that, applying the other heatsink and fan to that. Have no changed back to my old keyboard and mouse to see if this could somehow be the problem. If you have any other suggestions of what i can do before i fill it with new years firecrackers and blow it to another dimension it would be very, very, very apreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.