Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I won't bore you with too much info with what's wrong.

Basically my computer won't boot up, it will turn on, but it doesnt supply any power to my mouse or monitor or keyboard etc. I'm pretty sure this is a motherboard fault/problem. If it helps at all, I'll supply my computer specs for you.

Intel core 2 duo E6300 @1.86
1 gb ddr2 ram
320 gb wdc hdd in SATA
Pioneer 111-d Dvd burner
nVidia geforce 7600 gs
Gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 V1.0 motherboard
Samsung 19" widescreen monitor

Any tips or ideas on how to fix it, or if it can't be fixed what I should do would be greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one that came with my case. I have a foxconn TSAA861, and the PSU is a 300W - 350W Peak PSU. I don't know if the PSU has gone because the PSU fan is still spinning when I turn the comp on, just like the CPU fan. It also sounds like the hard drive starts up as well. Also I don't OC because I haven't got the need to.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
PSU's can fail and still operate some components of the system; yet not bring the system to full power

I suggest you look at getting the Fortron 450 watt PSU for about $50.00 on newegg.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the idea, however we have actually sourced it to the motherboard. The motherboard has died, I think from a fault within it, or a power surge, Since we did lose power a couple of nights ago while the computer was running. The reason I know it is the motherboard is because we went through about 5 PSU's 3 being 400w, 1 being 450w and 1 being 350w and everytime the same thing happened, no boot screen, no signals to any of the peripherals. So basically I have a choice now, since it's still under warranty, I can get it replaced, or a I can upgrade to a better board. Opinions?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm always reluctant to blame the motherboard when a computer fails to boot up because every time I do, I'm wrong. If your computer doesn't boot at all, it doesn't necessarily mean the motherboard is at fault. There could be other factors preventing your computer from booting.

One thing that could prevent your computer from booting is a fried CPU, or one that was installed incorrectly. Is this a new build? If so, could you have possibly installed it wrong?

Another thing that could prevent your computer from booting is a corrupted BIOS. When your computer suddently lost power, the BIOS may have been corrupted. All you would need to do is reset your CMOS. Either reset it with the jumper or remove the battery for about 10 minutes. Then boot your computer and see if it boots. Lets hope it works! :)

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
First of all you should be running a 550 watt PSU minimum for that system

I would get the mobo replaced (that model is decent) then get the Antec Trio Rail 650 watt PSU from Newegg they are about $99.00 after rebate!

that will put an end to your miseries

PSU's that dont put out clean stable voltage can cause all kinds of weird problems and burn up components too. Its very hard on a motherboard's voltage regualtor when a PSU is delivering lower amperage than what is required by the set-up

goodluck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I'm still pretty sure that it is the mobo that is dead, and it's only a 10 week old build. I didn't build it myself, I bought it custom built. I got all the reciepts etc etc and got the warranties. I may try resetting the CMOS, but I still think I need to get my mobo replaced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick Question, How do I remove the CMOS battery, I can't seem to get it out. Does it require a lot of force?

·
Registered
166 Posts
There should be a little tab in the corner. Take a small flathead screwdriver and push it in or out (I don't remember which way. I always have trouble getting it out) and it should pop out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys, I sourced the problem by pulling apart my dads comp and my comp and starting replacing parts. There were 2 problems, one was the BIOS was corrupted, and my graphics card wouldn't get send a signal to my monitor until the BIOS had been corrected.

I swapped the RAM over since that's always the first thing to go, no difference, then I swapped over my PSU (about 5 times). Then noticing that the mobo acutally had life because the outtake fan and the processor fan were both spinning, I removed the battery, STILL NOTHING:upset: . Then as a last resort I swapped my 7600 GS for my GV-RX70P256V and success!! Monitor worked and sure enough, CMOS error, so reset BIOS and all systems are go.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.