Tech Support banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was the original problem...
I bought a new computer and had to reinstall my office 2007 suite. When I open Word or Excel, I get a screen that looks like number 1. Prior to the reinstall, the screen looked like number 2. What do I have to do in order to get the screen to look like it again?

Screen 1​

Screen 2​

·
Moderator , Microsoft Support, MS Office Pro
2,534 Posts
Screen 2 suggests the use of Print Layout view, but Screen 1 suggests the use of Draft view. As for the lack of colouring, that's likely to be due to your Windows Setup rather than anything in Word.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well now I'm totally freaked out. I couldn't make any changes or open any of the tabs on that screen so I closed the application. I immediately reopened it and screen 2 came up! I opened excel and it came up with a screen type 2 showing

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was the original problem...
I bought a new computer and had to reinstall my office 2007 suite. When I open Word or Excel, I get a screen that looks like number 1. Prior to the reinstall, the screen looked like number 2. What do I have to do in order to get the screen to look like it again?

View attachment 330900
Screen 1​

View attachment 330901
Screen 2​
I had to restart the laptop. After that, when I opened either word or excel, they came up looking like screen 1 (above). What do I have to do to make them look like screen 2?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to restart the laptop. After that, when I opened either word or excel, they came up looking like screen 1 (above). What do I have to do to make them look like screen 2?
Disregard. I found the answer on YouTube. You have to open the app options. A short way down the list you'll see color scheme. There, you can change it to blue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is back. The solution I thought I found above doesn't work now. I'm back to needing more help which would be appreciated.

Jim Birke

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,952 Posts
Is it possible you have more than one version of Office on your computer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Programs and features in control panel only show one occurrence of Microsoft office.
There are is one occurrence of an office folder from 8/20 in program files but there are only five files in it.
In Program files (x86) there is one occurrence of office. In that folder there are two subfolders, Office 10 and office 12. Office 10 has only three files in it.Office 12 as a ton of subfolders and files and has today's date on it. (I ran office repair today.)
Do you think I ought to delete the two folders with the small number of files in them?

JB

·
28,952 Posts
Office 10 is Office XP. Don't get confused. It has nothing to do with the XP operating system. Office 12 is Office 2007. From that info, you should be able to make some determination as to action.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While thrashing around trying to find a solution to this problem I stumbled on this YouTube video.
. It solved my problem. Apparently, what the screen looks like is based on the default template. There were no templates in the my templates folder that he pointed out. I drilled down through the appdata folder to “Microsoft > templates” and both the default templates for word and excel were there. I opened each of them and they both opened in the nice blue screen. I saved them as the same name and extension. They then appeared in the my templates folder in the word program and likewise for the Excel program. When you open a new document it uses the correct default template. When you open a previously saved document, it also opens using the correct default template.

I want to thank all of you for the time you took to reply to this thread attempting to help me.

Jim Birke Sincerely hoping this doesn't crop up again.

·
28,952 Posts
The Normal.dotm template is what's supposed to open. If any changes are made to it they become permanent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The extension on my is normal.dotx

·
28,952 Posts
I only posted that for FYI. More at: .https://www.word-tips.com/dotx-and-dotm/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem came back this morning. I tried to fix it by doing what I posted in number 10 above but that didn't work. I downloaded and used "Microsoft support and recovery assistance" to uninstall office. I reinstalled office but the problem still exists. I am thoroughly stumped.

JB

·
28,952 Posts
Microsoft support and recovery assistance isn't for MS Office 2007. Uninstall from your Control Panel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, I'll do that if there is a next time. I have just noticed something that, if it happened before, I wasn't paying any attention to it. It seems like the problem will go away by itself. I have no idea when or why this happens. I will watch for the problem to reoccur and then try to determine the when and why the correction happens.
JB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem seemed to have gone away But, it's back big time. My screen consistently looks like number 1 in my post number 1 above. Screen number 2 is known as the "blue color scheme" which is what I want. I got two Windows 10 updates this morning. I tried to uninstall them but Microsoft just re installs them. I tried to change the color scheme in word options but that didn't work.I followed the instructions in the video in post number 10 above but that didn't help.

If anybody has any new suggestions, I'd sure appreciate hearing from them.

Jim B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts