Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been having an issue that has been killing me for the past one and a half year now. I'm literally on the edge I'm desperate and I don't know what else to do. I own a 5-year-old Toshiba QOSMIO X500-12N (part no: PQX33E - 03R01VG5). It was working fine for 3.5 years and all of a sudden it started shutting down unexpectedly, like TOTALLY RANDOM restarts. At the beginning I thought it might be overheating issues, because it was just shutting down. So I cleaned it up, nothing different, kept shutting down. After a while I decided that I should send it to Toshiba to tell me what's going on. They said they had to replace the fans and the heat sink as well as the hard drives. I paid about 500 dollars for those changes but the computer was still restarting for no freaking reason. I tried to check if it was the RAM, so I replaced the RAM, still restarting. So all that's left I guess is the GPU or the motherboard, and I don't think those 2 are worth changing at all, so I wanted to ask here, what the hell might be wrong? It's not the NVIDIA Drivers, I updated them a bunch of times and saw no difference at all, nor the laptop being dirty, I cleaned it up so many times even changed the thermal paste. Something also to keep in mind is that if I dare install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 on it this problem gets 100 times worse, it restarts the second I start to watch a stream or a video, or just staying there on the desktop for 10 - 20 minutes. It doesn't happen just when gaming or watching videos or listening to music, but it also restarts while browsing the web, writing a document or even just being there completely untouched. I really don't know what else to do, I'll post some of the event viewer errors I get when it reboots and you guys maybe can tell me what's going on. Don't tell me to change my computer, because I'm currently studying and I can't afford anything like that, but if that's the case and nothing can be done so be it. Please help :(
The Windows EVENT VIEWER Displays these when I open it after each of the crash:
Event 6008-Event Log: The previous system shutdown at **//AM on ‎//‎2015 was unexpected.
Event 41-Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event 7034-Service Control Management: The Service KMSELDI service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
- Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz
- GPU: NVidia GeForce GTS360M
- Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Moved to Bsod's, App Crashes and Hangs for further help. I think an analyst may be able to assist you better.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
4,349 Posts
Have you actually checked the temperatures? What are they idle/under load?

Check with Speccy or something similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sitz,

I'm currently testing a solution since a week, and that looks promising : no more system freeze.

I've got a X500-PQX33E which had the same freezing problem. That problem has started after I've updated all drivers and bios (by using an automated tool : mydriver).

The solution :
I've updated bios with an earlier version 2.20 found on Toshiba US website.
Only the last version of bios (2.90) is available on Toshiba EU.

I've waited 2 days before doing the update, because the X500 models differ between US (X500-PQX33U) and Europe (X500-PQX33E), and I was not very confident to perform the bios update.

But finally I've done it, and I'm now happy. The system is still up and running without freezing since 5 days.

So, to find the bios 2.20 go to the webpage below (it's for the X500-Q840S but don't worry)

Qosmio X500-Q840S Support | Toshiba
click on "Drivers & Updates" tab
click on "Bios" under "Filter By"
then chose "ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.20 for Qosmio X505 (PQX33U)"
download the file qx33v220.exe, launch it and follow the instructions.

Hope that help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.