Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Intel 955 system with a 3.4 Ghz processor, 2G memory, Windows XP SP2 with all updates. The system uses a 3 disk hardware RAID as one volume. As far as I can tell, my system is clean as a whistle. I've run Norton's antivirus (normal every day use antivirus SW) , Kaspersky, Ewido, Adaware, Spybot, and keep my registry lean and mean, no extraneous files in temp directories and defragged with Perfect Disk. Never had a virus or trojan on this particular machine. I've even run HJT in safe mode to verify if anything is lurking that I wasn't aware of. When I ran SFC /scannow, everything went as normal until I tried to reboot. When doing the reboot, it brought up the Black Windows logo screen with the slider and then sent the system back to the BIOS for another reboot, over and over. I was able to boot into safe mode and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I then restored to my last checkpoint, a few hours earlier and all is well again.

My question is , can SFC, get messed up because it doesn't know about the update files that were downloaded or is there something else wrong with the system, or could the SFC mess up my NTLDR or NTDetect.com files, therefore not allowing Windows to properly access the RAID array? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm not quite a rookie as I've been solving computer hardware and SW problems since the PC first came out (20+years), but this one has me puzzeled.

Regards,
azarby

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
unless the updates are slipstreamed into the disk,it usually asks for the disk and loads the originals
i have never found sfc to cause this problem,being able to boot into safe mode i think would indicate 3rd party software in your startup folder

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dai said:
unless the updates are slipstreamed into the disk,it usually asks for the disk and loads the originals
i have never found sfc to cause this problem,being able to boot into safe mode i think would indicate 3rd party software in your startup folder

I am somewhat inclined to agree with you. My thoughts are that it could be the driver for the Raid array, maybe even the LAN or NVIDIA graphics drivers. But if third party SW is to blame, why would replacing the Windows Dlls with original vesions cause the other SW to not work, unless it was looking for a certain rev or newer of a particular DLL. The third party SW should not have been touched. One thing I did notice, was that when I did the restore, it took about 40 minutes to copy the restore saved configuration, Dlls and files back to their original locations. This tells me that the SFC operation replaced a massive amount of data.

As for the startup folder I don't belive it got that far to execute any of them. I never even saw the light blue Windows logo screen.

Anyone have any clue?

azarby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.