Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having a problem when trying to connect any removable media to my computer. I am using Windows XP.

The Problem:
Every time I try to connect any type of removable media I get the pop up that indicates that the media is connected but autoplay doesn't come on at all and when I check My Computer the media doesn't appear. I try going to Disk Manager and it doesn't show up on there either. The weirder thing is that in disk manager the C: drive doesn't appear either, only the cd roms, but it does come up in My Computer. Strange right? Well before any of this started happening my computer was infected with spyware and I was able to remove it using a variety of anti spyware software and Combofix. The problem started happening after the spyware got cleaned out of the computer.

What I've tried so far:
I tried the normal troubleshooting steps like restarting, unplugging and replugging, uninstalling drivers and reinstalling and none of that worked. I checked the device manager to make sure that the devices would show up there which fortunately they did and it showed both my Hard Drive and removable media to be in Working Condition. Then I check the disk management to see if the device would show up there and that's when i noticed that not even my c drive was showing up. I went onto the services and looked through the list for any weird looking services that would cause any conflicts in the computer but didn't find any and finally I went into the registry to look at the keys that I thought would most likely have something to do with this but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't have much experience with the registry so I didn't mess with it too much. I've gone through every troubleshooting step that i know of and I am now stumped. Can someone please help me!!

THANKS!!

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
Personally, I'd perform a fresh install of the OS.

Barring that, you could try booting from your XP CD and performing a repair. You could also try reinstalling SP3 (or upgrade to SP3 if you haven't already). Then install or reinstall the latest system or motherboard drivers (or just the USB drivers - varies by system).

But the Disk Management issue sounds like a core XP issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.